NUI Galway Announce 2014 Alumni Award Winners
Wednesday, 15 January 2014
NUI Galway has announced the winners of the 2014 Alumni Awards to be presented at the 14th annual Alumni Awards Gala Banquet on Saturday, 1 March, 2014 in the Bailey Allen Wing located in Áras na Mac Léinn on campus.
The Alumni Awards recognise individual excellence and achievements among the University’s more than 80,000 graduates worldwide. The Awards programme boasts an impressive roll call of 79 outstanding graduates who have gone on to honour their alma mater, including, for example, Michael D. Higgins, Ciarán FitzGerald, Sean O’Rourke, Professor Frank Gannon, Dr Luke Clancy and Gráinne Seoige.
After a highly successful sporting year at NUI Galway, this year’s banquet will focus on sport.
The winners of the five alumni awards to be presented at Gala 2014:
Award for Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies - sponsored by AIB
- Norah Gibbons, Chairperson, Child and Family Agency.
Alumni Award for Business, Public Policy and Law – sponsored by Bank of Ireland
- Helen Ryan, Former CEO and Non-Executive Director of Creganna-Tactx Medical.
Alumni Award for Engineering and Informatics – sponsored by Bank of Ireland
- Michael McNicholas, CEO, Bord Gáis.
Alumni Award for Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences – sponsored by Medtronic
- Professor Ray Dolan, Professor of Neuropsychology, University College London and Head of the Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience at the Institute of Neurology, London.
Alumni Award for Science – sponsored by Aramark
- Professor Gerald Jennings, Emeritus Professor, School of Physics, NUI Galway and former Director of the Environmental Change Institute, NUI Galway.
Speaking on the announcement of the Awards recipients, President of NUI Galway, Dr Jim Browne said: “Our Alumni Awards programme recognises the many Galway alumni who are leaders in their chosen fields. These awards celebrate the life-long value of an NUI Galway education and recognise individual achievements among the University’s more than 80,000 graduates worldwide. I congratulate each of the Award winners and look forward to welcoming them back to campus for the Gala Banquet in March.”
Author: Marketing and Communications Office, NUI Galway