Launch of US Board of Galway University Foundation
Tuesday, 19 December 2006
19 December 2006: The U.S. Board of Galway University Foundation was formally launched by the Irish Consul General in New York, Mr. Tim O'Connor, at a reception hosted recently at the Irish Consul's residence in New York. Galway University Foundation generates financial support for NUI Galway's programmes and activities from a range of private individuals and institutions. The new board will help nurture lasting relationships with donors in the U.S. who share NUI Galway s vision for the future.
The U.S. Board will be chaired by NUI Galway graduate Declan Kelly who is CEO of Financial Dynamics US. He will work to raise awareness of the University and assist with the monumental capital campaign that the University has initiated to improve the physical resources offered to its growing student body of 15,000. The development programme will include planned new buildings and enhancements of current facilities, all financed by University resources and a combination of government and private, philanthropic funding.
Following the inaugural meeting of the Board in the US, the new members were introduced to a gathering of 150 prominent New York Irish Americans together with University Alumni and Friends.
At the meeting, Dr. Iognáid Ó Muircheartaigh, President, NUI Galway outlined his ambitions for the University "NUI Galway's Governing Authority recently authorised a visionary Capital Development plan, amounting to a €400 million investment in new buildings and enhancements to current facilities. This vision for our 'Campus of the Future' will ensure that we provide the platform from which the young people of today will make their contribution to ensuring that Ireland continues to hold it's place and to play it's part in the knowledge society of the future".
The full list of the Galway University Foundation board members in the US are as follows:
- Declan Kelly, (Chairman), C.E.O Financial Dynamics (Graduate)
- Mike Higgins, M.D. Real Estate Finance & CIBC World Bank (Graduate)
- Aedhmar Hynes-McGovern, CEO, Text 100 Public Relations (Graduate)
- Frank Mooney, Partner, Dunnington, Bartholow & Miller
- Irial Finan, President - Bottling Investments, Coca-Cola Worldwide (Graduate)
- Dómhnal Slattery, Chairman & Managing Partner, Claret Capital (Graduate)
- John MacNamara, Chairman, Galway University Foundation
- Tom Joyce, Executive Director, Galway University Foundation
- Dr. Iognáid Ó Muircheartaigh, President, NUI Galway
The Board appointments are for three years.