President Praises NUI Galway Societies at Awards Ceremony
Friday, 11 April 2008
President of NUI Galway, Dr. Jim Browne, in his speech, congratulated the Societies on their outstanding achievements, the calibre of the events which they organise and the man hours that they contribute through volunteering as part of the Societies he said, "This year alone the hours volunteered by members of Societies' committees is the equivalent of the number hours worked by 53 full time workers in one year. In the last five years the Societies have raised over €900,000 for charity".
The winners on the night will represent the University at the BICS National Society Awards in Dundalk IT on 17 April, 2008.
- The coveted Best Society of the Year Award went to the 'Business Society' for the professionalism they brought to their numerous and varied events during the year. In 2006 they won best new Society in Ireland at the BICS Awards.
- Best Improved Society went to the 'Musical Society' (GUMS), for their busy year which saw the society branch out into new directions. In addition to their 'Back to the 80's' musical they also organised the 'NUI Galway Schools Musical Awards' which took place in NUI Galway recently with the top prize going to Ballinrobe Community School for 'The Wiz'.
- Best New Society went to the 'Nothing Specific Society' whose main aim is to bring fun and foolishness to campus, their next event will be 'Meal or no Meal'.
- Best Society Individual went to Law student Laura Freyne from Knock, Co. Mayo, for her contribution to campus life through her leadership of the International Students Society.
- Best Fresher went to Nora Ní Dhomhnaill from Buncrana, Co. Donegal, who is studying first-year Denominated History, Nora is a committee member of An Cumann Starr and the Literary and Debating Society.
- Best Event went to the Rotaract Society for their 'Socs in the City Fashion Show' which raised over €12,000 for the Alzheimer's Association.
Two Múscailt prizes were also presented to the Orchestra and Dansoc and the best contribution to Múscailt Arts Festival award went to Lit & Deb and Law Soc for their Trials of Oscar Wilde and Barn Dance.