Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
August 2016 NUI Galway to Host Civil Engineering Research in Ireland 2016 Conference
The conference will also acknowledge outstanding individuals in Civil Engineering
The Civil Engineering Research in Ireland 2016 (CERI2016) conference will be hosted by NUI Galway from 29-30 August. Organised by the Civil Engineering Research Association of Ireland (CERAI), the conference aims to nurture early-career researchers and offers opportunities wherever possible to the next generation of leaders in research and industry.
A broad range of papers on civil engineering topics have been accepted for the conference including 117 full peer-reviewed technical papers and 5 keynote papers. There will be emphasis on applications, as well as theory, to maintain relevance to both industry and academia.
A number of keynote speakers will address plenary sessions including:
- Professor Enzo Siviero, Principal at Implementation Projects Studio Associato in Italy who will present the Third Joe O’Donovan Memorial Lecture.
- Professor Corey Griffin, Associate Professor, School of Architecture at Portland State University, USA. Professor Griffin will deliver a session on ‘Multi-performance retrofits to existing buildings: increasing resiliency and reducing the environmental impact of buildings through simultaneous structural and energy retrofits’.
- Dr Annette Harte, Senior Lecturer with NUI Galway who will deliver a lecture on ‘Massive timber - the emergence of a modern construction material’.
- Professor W. John McCarter, School of the Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society at Heriot Watt University in Scotland will present on ‘Performance Monitoring for Sustainable Concrete Infrastructure’.
- Professor David Frost, Center for Bio-mediated and Bio-inspired Geotechnics, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA will focus on ‘The Evolving Role of Materials in Infrastructure Systems’.
CERAI will also acknowledge outstanding individuals in civil engineering in a public forum and will formally present the following awards at the CERI2016 conference banquet:
- Life time achievement: CERAI will be honouring an individual for outstanding achievements made over a sustained period in the disciplines of engineering. The awardee will be considered based on open nomination and an independent panel of esteemed assessors will adjudicate on the nominees.
- Young researcher: This award will be made to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to research and practice at an early stage in their careers and are aged under 35 years. An independent panel of esteemed assessors will adjudicate on the nominees.
- Awards for best research papers and best practice in Engineering.
To nominate an individual for one of the awards download the application form at http://www.cerai.net/page/23/awards--bursary/ and email Dr Jamie Goggins at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, 8 August.
For more information and to register for the CERI2016 conference visit http://www.cerai.net/page/57/welcome/ or contact the conference chairperson, Dr Jamie Goggins at email@example.com or 091 492609.