What we do
The Secretary’s office provides oversight in relation to legal matters affecting the University, ensuring that the University complies with legislative and regulatory requirements.
Some of the specific issues which the office manages and coordinates include:
- Corporate Governance – advice to Údarás na hOllscoile and the University statutory committees
- Corporate Secretarial matters – sealing of University documents; correspondence with the Higher Education Authority, Government Departments, the Irish Universities Association and various Government Agencies
- Compliance with the Universities Act 1997
- Compliance with NUI Galway's statutes and drafting new statutes when required
- University’s Corporate legal affairs – contracts and litigation
- Compliance with legal obligations – Data Protection, Freedom of Information, Ethics in Public Office Acts and various other legislative requirements
- Oversight of Irish language development – implemenation of an Sceim Teanga as required under the Official Languages Act
- Regional Development – coordination of NUI Galway’s role
- The development, progression and completion of various cross-cutting University projects
- Administrative oversight of the University's statutory committees.