From Queen's College to National University of Ireland, the University's past is intertwined with the history of Galway and Ireland.
The Quadrangle first opened its doors to 63 students on 30th October 1849 and the University, then known as Queen's College was born. The University was one of three Queen's Colleges, the others located in Cork and Belfast.
The Quadrangle building, built in local limestone in a Tudor Gothic architectural style, is modelled on Christ Church at the University of Oxford. The 'Quad' still stands proudly at the heart of the University today as a testament to its past. It is now used primarily for administrative purposes and houses the offices of the President and the Vice-Presidents.
In the first academic year, 1849 -1850, the University began with three faculties, Arts, Medicine and Law but there were also schools of Agriculture and Engineering. Female students later joined the student body and in 1906 Alice Perry graduated from the college, believed to be the first female engineering graduate in the world to receive a first class honours degree in civil engineering
There are many historical buildings on campus, such as the James Mitchell Museum, established in 1952. This geological museum contains high quality collections sampling a significant diversity of the planet's geology, with a fine display of fossils, minerals and rocks.
|Changing with the Times|
The University has had three different names:
- in 1849 it was called Queen's College Galway
- In 1908 it was changed to University College Galway
- in 1997 it was changed again to National University of Ireland, Galway.
Newer parts of the University sprang up in the 1970s and were designed by architects Scott Tallon Walker. The 1990s also saw considerable development including the conversion of an old munitions factory into a student centre. Recent developments include a state-of-the-art University Sports Centre , the award-winning Engineering Building, and a brand new research building for Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. As part of the University's €400 million capital investment programme, there are many exciting projects underway to create the 'Campus of the Future' for the now 17,000 - strong student body.
Dr. James Browne - 2008 to present
An Engineering graduate of NUI Galway, Dr. Browne is a former Dean of Engineering and
Deputy-President of the University with a record of achievement in academic leadership, strategic planning and change management.
Dr. Iognáid G. Ó Muircheartaigh - 2000-2008
Dr. Ó Muircheartaigh's term co-incided with development of a number of world-class research centres (eg. NCBES, REMEDI, DERI, Huston School of Film & Digital Media) and the construction of major new buildings, such as the Sports Centre, Áras Moyola, the IT Building and the Orbsen Building. Widely known as 'Iggy', key achievements of his term include a new approach to the promotion of third level education through Irish and the amendment of the 1929 Act.
Dr. Patrick F. Fottrell - 1996-2000
Dr. Fottrell introduced the first strategic plan for the university in 1997 called Strategic Plan 2006, which resulted in the strengthening of research activities in the university and secured the development of the NUI Galway as a world-class university.
Dr. Colm ó hEocha, 1975-1996
Under Dr. ó hEocha's leadership, student numbers doubled, research flourished and the present modern campus took shape.
Dr. Martin J. Newell, 1960-1975
An esteemed professor of Mathematics in UCG, Dr. Newell became President in 1960 and implemented many changes to the University, its campus and particularly to the curriculum by adding many new disciplines.
Monsignor Pádraig de Brún, 1945-1959
Pádraig de Brún, was formerly a professor of Mathematics in Maynooth before he became President of UCG to which he brought his passionate belief in the importance of the Irish language.
Monsignor John Hynes, 1934-1945
John Hynes, a Professor of Archaeology was instrumental in securing funding for UCG at a time of acute financial crisis and ensured the survival of the university.
Alexander Anderson, 1899-1934
Alexander Anderson oversaw the transition from Queen's College Galway, a University of the United Kingdom to UCG, the designated Gaelic University of Saorstát Éireann and an increase in the student body from 100 to 600 people.
William Joseph M. Starkie, 1897-1899
William Starke had a background in Ethics, History, English literature and Classical studies, and during his time as President of UCG, he published many studies on Irish education and the Classics.
Thomas William Moffett, 1877-1897
Thomas William Moffett was a Professor of Logic and Metaphysics and held the chair of History and English Literature before becoming President of UCG. He wrote and lectured extensively on Economics.
Edward Berwick, 1849-1877
Edward Berwick ,with a background in Law, led the university through very difficult times and defended Queen's College against its many detractors, so ensuring the survival of the college
The Rev. Joseph W. Kirwan, 1845-1849
A thoughtful and eloquent speaker Rev. Kirwan held a Docorate of Divinity was the first President of Queen's College Galway.
- 17,000 students.
- 2,000 international students from 92 countries.
- 2,400 staff members.
- 120 links with universities across the globe.
- 90,000 alumni in 107 countries.
- 165 years experience providing university education.
NUI Galway is:
- Ireland's top University for student retention - Sunday Times 2011.
- Irelands's top Univerisity for graduate employability with 96% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.
- The largest and oldest university in the west of Ireland.
NUI Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular literature, Theatre and Irish Studies
NUI Galway was awarded the QS Five star rating - 2012