Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
The "Fire Safety Information" page provides specific fire emergency information. Leagan Gaeilge/English Version links and are displayed in public areas of NUI Galway. University Units must locally develop and implement procedures for other emergencies likely to arise as a result of their activities.
It is important that staff familiarise themselves with the following in advance of any emergency:
The main emergency numbers;
The location of the nearest telephone(s) and confirm that they are available for use e.g. that the phone line is not barred;
The Occupational First Aiders in your Unit and their contact phone number(s).
When telephoning 112 or 999 for assistance in an emergency;
Give the following details (at least):
· the location (and phone number) from which you are calling;
· the type of emergency and assistance required;
· the location where assistance is required and directions to get there;
· do not hang up until you are satisfied that your message has been correctly received and that the emergency services have got all the details they require.
In any emergency situation the following points apply:-
· Do not put yourself or others at risk. At all times the most important consideration is human safety.
· Familiarise yourself with fire emergency procedures, and other arrangements, in advance.
· Act responsibly and methodically with due care for your safety and the safety of others.
· The senior member of staff must take local control of the situation ensuring the safe evacuation of all persons present and be prepared to warn the emergency services of any known special hazards.
· After any incident or injury the event must be reported to the Health and Safety Office using the correct University Report Forms. This is required for preventive purposes and in certain cases is also a legal requirement.
Ensure that all accidents, first aid or near miss event are reported within 24 hours to the Safety Office. Use this Accident Reporting link.