Certificate/Diploma in Employee Assistance and Social Support
The Diploma in Employee Assistance and Social Support is a two-year, blended learning training programme for staff working or intending to work in Employee Assistance Programmes (EAPs). The programme provides knowledge and basic training in the skills necessary to fulfil the role of an EAP practitioner. The programme is broadly based in recognition of the very different functions and responsibilities allocated to the EAP support role in different types of enterprise and organisations.
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
• Describe and explain the origins of Employee Assistance and differing national approaches to EAP policies, legislation and practice in the European Union.
• Demonstrate in their work an ability to use a wide range of interpersonal skills appropriate to the needs of their clients.
• Demonstrate the ability to respond with appropriate skills to a wide range of frequently occurring workplace problems.
• Describe and advise on different ways of providing EAP services in a workplace.
Applicants must have reached 21 years of age by January 1 of the year of entry. Applicants should have appropriate experience in some area of Human Resources or Employee Assistance and should be in a position to undertake course assignments and projects in Human Resources or EAP setting
2 years, part-time
Next start date: Please contact the Programme Administrator
ECTS weighting: 90 ECTS (45 ECTS per each academic year)
Average intake: 25
Closing date: Please contact the Programme Administrator for further information; see below.
NFQ level: 7
The following are the range of modules (five per year) available on this programme:
The modules in the Certificate year (Year 1) focus on the basic knowledge and skills for the practice of employee assistance:
- Individual Help in the Employee Assistance Process
- Employee Assistance: Origins, Principles and Organisation
- Problem Management and Creativity
- Negotiations and Negotiation Skills
- The Legal and Policy Framework of EAP
- Work-based Project
In the Diploma year (Year 2), the focus is on workplace problems that are encountered particularly frequently. Processes and procedures for managing and coping with these problems are explained and the interpersonal skills needed at the various stages of these procedures identified and practised. The modules in the second year are:
- Practical Research and Writing
- Employee Assistance – Psychological Trauma
- Depression and Common Mental Disorders in EAP
- Responding to Substance Misuse in the Workplace
- Employee Assistance – Bullying and Harassment
- Work-based Project (Credits: 10 ECTS) Course outline
Applications and selections
Note: A non-refundable application fee of €30 is required.
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job Seekers Benefit
- Job Seekers Allowance
- One-Parent Family Allowance
- Disability Allowance
- Social Insurance Contribution Credits
- Community Employment Scheme
Requirements and assessment
Participants are required to attend five, two-day, module workshops each year guided by tutors from NUI Galway. Workshop locations are selected to be geographically accessible to the majority of students. Attendance at workshops is a key programme requirement. A full set of self-instructional learning material is provided at the start of each module. The time it takes to work through each module depends on the individual student.
Assessment is by means of an assignment for each module plus an end of year project.
Find out more
Adult Training and Education Studies
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
NUI Galway, Nuns' Island
T: 091 494055
Fees for this course
EU (Total): €2,900 p.a. 2014/15
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment - see section titled "Applications and selections" below for further details.
“Excellent course and well presented, great support from NUIG at all times. It was a pleasure to return to Adult Education”.
“I think NUI Galway have got the balance just right with the Employee Assistance and Social Support Diploma course. There is a great mix between academic and practical learning. The lecturers are excellent, drawing from a life time of practical experience. The journals are of a high quality allowing students to prepare for each 2-day workshop. The workshops are very relaxed which allows the students to draw on their experience of dealing with real EAP for the benefit of all in the class”.
"I am thrilled with what I have achieved on this course as it stands to me in my present employment as Personnel Support Service Non Commissioned Officer, in the Irish Defence Forces. This appointment entails dealing with serving and retired soldiers and their family’s with social and domestic problems, and much more. I am actually thinking on the lines of a degree. If someone had told me that two years ago I wouldn’t have believed it."