J.E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics
This MSc aims to further develop recently qualified Marketing graduates’ knowledge and critical understanding of marketing to an advanced level and to cultivate a comprehensive range of applied and analytical skills in marketing, with a strong emphasis on strategic decision making. Students will be exposed to the latest cutting edge ideas, techniques, and marketing frameworks through the analysis of industry best practice.
This specialised, innovative programme has been created to meet the needs of graduates aspiring to pursue challenging senior career opportunities in the marketing profession. Designed to cultivate a generation of marketing strategists, this taught programme is unique as it focuses on the strategic perspective of marketing.
Specifically the Programme aims to:
- Further develop the students’ knowledge and critical understanding of marketing to an advanced level.
- Cultivate a comprehensive range of applied and analytical skills in marketing, with a strong emphasis on strategic decision making.
- Expose students to the latest cutting edge ideas, techniques and marketing frameworks through the analysis of industry best practice.
- Foster an appreciation of the significant changes and challenges occurring in increasingly competitive marketplaces.
- Develop students’ competencies and confidence through professional training in business and marketing skills, including oral and written presentation skills.
- Provide training in the methods and practice of accepted research methodologies.
- Allow students to develop and expand their personal confidence.
Normally the minimum entry requirements will be (a) a second class honours Bachelor of Commerce or equivalent business degree, with a significant specialisation in Marketing or (b) a second class honours, grade 1 or higher in the Higher Diploma in Business Studies from NUI Galway or other approved colleges, specialising in Marketing. However, all applicants meeting this standard may not be admitted as the number of places available in any year will be limited.
Overseas applicants may be required to submit results of both the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and/or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).
1 year, full-time 2 years, part-time
Next start date: September 2014
ECTS weighting: 90 (full-time and part-time)
Average intake: 30 (full-time) 5-10 (part-time)
Please refer to the offer rounds/closing date webpage.
The programme comprises a mix of lectures, seminars, projects, case studies and presentations in each of the required subjects. Lectures commence in the first week of September.
Six subjects are offered each semester from the following for the full-time programme:
- Strategic Marketing Policy
- Advanced Consumer Behaviour
- Services Marketing Theory
- Selling and Sales Management
- E-Business Marketing
- New Product Development and Innovation
- Special Topics in Marketing
- Applied Marketing Research
- Cases in Strategic Marketing
- Research Methods
- Strategic Brand Management
- Managing Services
- Global Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Marketing Modelling and Metrics
- Customer Service and Relationship Management
Students also complete a Research Dissertation and a Skills Development module. Supplementing the formal curriculum are frequent opportunities to hear distinguished visiting academic and industry speakers.
The Programme is offered on a part-time basis over two academic years. Lectures commence in the first week of September of each year of the part-time programme.
The MSc (Strategic Marketing) Part-time conforms fully with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) and consists of a total of 90 ECTS over the two years. Students are required to take three subjects in semester 1 and three subjects in semester 2 of each year, (subjects taken to be determined by the Discipline of Marketing), giving a total of twelve subjects over the two years, and a research dissertation. Subjects offered may differ from year to year based on available teaching staff expertise. The research dissertation (30 ECTS) is completed under supervision and submitted by a date in July in year 2 (specified by the Discipline of Marketing). It is expected that supervised work on the dissertation will commence in September of year 2.
Semester 1 Subject Suite:
- Strategic Marketing Policy (MK561) 5 ECTS
- Advanced Consumer Behaviour (MK564) 5 ECTS
- Services Marketing Theory (MK567) 5 ECTS
- Selling & Sales Management (MK568) 5 ECTS
- E-Business Marketing (MK569) 5 ECTS
- Research Methods (MK563) 5 ECTS
- New Product Development & Innovation (MK570) 5 ECTS
- Special Topics in Marketing (MK571) 5 ECTS
Semester 2 Subject Suite:
- Cases in Strategic Marketing (MK565) 5 ECTS
- Strategic Brand Management (MK566) 5 ECTS
- Applied Marketing Research (MK562) 5 ECTS
- Business To Business Marketing (MK578) 5 ECTS
- Marketing Modelling & Metrics (MK573) 5 ECTS
- Customer Service & Relationship Management (MK574) 5 ECTS
- Global Marketing (MK575) 5 ECTS
- Social Marketing (MK576) 5 ECTS
- Research Dissertation (MK518) 30 ECTS
Applications and selections
Who teaches this course?
Dr. Declan Fleming, B.Comm., MBS, PhD.
Dr. Christine Domegan, B.Comm., MBS, PhD.
Dr. Elaine Wallace, B.Comm., MBS, HDMP, PhD.
Dr. Natasha Evers, BA, GBDS, MEconSc., PhD.
Dr. Ann Torres, BA, MBA, PhD.
Ms. Orla Higgins, B.Comm., MBS, MA.
Supplemented by industry guest lecturers.
Requirements and assessment
Gaining the MSc (Strategic Marketing) (full-time and part-time) will enable candidates to build successful marketing management careers in a wide variety of industry sectors and organisations including pharmaceutical companies, publishing companies, banks, consumer products companies and business- to- business.
A growing trend is the utilisation of marketing by non-profit organisations. Colleges, art organisations, libraries, and hospitals are increasingly beginning to hire marketing professionals to manage their diverse marketing activities.
Fees for this course
EU (Total): €6,755 p.a. 2013/14 (inclusive of Levy)
- Tuition: €6,531 p.a. 2013/14
- Student levy: €224 p.a. 2013/14
Non-EU (Total): €13,250 p.a. 2013/14
EU Full time programme: €6,015 p.a.
EU Part time programme: €3,065 p.a.
"My knowledge of the various areas of marketing has been greatly increased due to the variety of subjects the course offers and I have learned much from the added emphasis on individual learning. The smaller classes the programme offers also make it a very intimate learning environment which means that students both get to know one another and their lecturers very well within a short period of time”.
"NUI Galway's reputation, as well as the range of modules offered, appealed to me in the first place. Also, the quality of the Masters was very high. The class-size was small enough to allows students to get to know each other and to easily ask lecturers for help or advice. I would recommend NUI Galway because of the quality of the lecturers, the quality of the teaching materials used, and the standards expected of students. Also the course allowed me to advance my academic writing, desk research, and develop strong analytical skills in marketing."
Director of Market Development at Fáilte Ireland
"A masters degree in Marketing at NUI Galway gave me an incredible advantage as I headed out into the competitive world of work. I had confidence in the depth of my knowledge and its application in a way that reflects the excellent teaching."