Working Abroad

These links are for students / graduates interested in working in another country full time. 

Also check Careers Connect for opportunities.

ALIVE have pages on opportunities for students interested in volunteering outside Ireland

Jobs links & guides to working abroad:

GradLink  is your link to careers and jobs in your home country and beyond. GradLink currently includes sections for China, South-East Asia (ASEAN), the Gulf, Canada, Africa, India and Bangladesh. Further country sections will be added in the future.

Country-by-country advice is available from TargetJobs and for short and long-term options and have tips to make the most of your year abroad.

Some online recruitment sites cover multiple countries e.g., Monster, Indeed.


Citizens information have advice for those considering moving abroad.

Travel advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade

Working in Europe

General Links:

EU Official pages All aspects of working in the EU - including EURES (European Jobs Portal), writing a Europass CV, work rights, qualification recognition and more.

European Youth Portal Information of working (full time or holiday work), volunteering or studying in another country in Europe.

European Movement   Advice and guidance for Irish students and graduates looking for jobs and internships in Europe. Download their annual publication 'The Green Book: An Irish Trainee’s Guide to Living and Working in Brussels (& other nice European cities).  The European Affairs jobsite. Searchable jobs database and sign up for regular newsletter. Includes internships.

Graduate Jobs in Europe Graduate employers by country.

Prospects  Work abroad pages - links to profiles on 50 countries


Country Links
Each country will have many job search sites.
Begin by using your favourite search engine to narrow down the options - e.g., 'graduate engineering jobs Madrid'.
You could also check to see if there is a dedicated graduate portal in the country - a quick review of careers pages in a local university would let you know.

Working for the EU:

EU Jobs:  
This site from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade gives information on

  • Traineeships (European Stagiaire)
  • Open competitions for graduate roles in the various directorates of the EU.  
  • They also help Irish citizens prepare for the tests and interviews integral to the application process.  
  • Links to other relevant official EU sites.

Many European directorates and organisations have graduate traineeships (ranging from 3 months to 12months). This site links to opportunities at European Court of Justice, European Commission, European Central Bank, European Parliament among others.
Search for traineeships/internships on the Eurodesk platform. 



Thinking of taking a year out? 
Some countries have visas to allow young people to do casual work for up to a year while also travelling. Restrictions apply - these examples are applicable to Irish citizens resident in Ireland. Please check with appropriate embassies for other nationalities.
Visa requirements can change and programmes listed could be discontinued in the future. Please check with the official website below before making any decisions.

Australia - Working holiday visa. Short term work to fund your stay of up to a year. If you have completed specified work in regional Australia on your first Working Holiday visa, you may be eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa. First Working Holiday visa applications may be lodged online from anywhere outside Australia

Hong Kong - Working Holiday Scheme. Work and travel in Hong Kong for up to a year. Apply through the Government of Hong Kong Immigration Department. Applicants must be aged 18-30 and cannot remain with the same employer for more than 3 months.  

Japan  - Working Travel Visa. The scheme will allow Irish people aged 18-30 work in Japan for up to 1 year in order to fund their travel in the country. Application details online

Republic of Korea - Must be Irish passport holders, aged 18-30, valid for 12 months. Working Holiday Visas are not appropriate for those wishing to enter Korea to engage in full-time employment. Individuals who wish to work as English instructors must change their visa status into E-2 visa. Details from The Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Ireland online  

New Zealand - the  Working Holiday Visa (for those aged 18 – 30) allows you to work in New Zealand for up to 12 months - you cannot accept a permanent job.  

USA - J1 Summer ( Apply through a sponsor - see for a list of approved Irish Agencies. You must have a seasonal job offer in advance. 

USA - The 1year graduate IWT programme will end in 2019 - see agencies for details (link above). have a useful chart of International Working Holiday Agreements and Temporary Work Visas on their site.


There are some student and/or graduate programmes that are specifically for those interested in going abroad.  These include (but are not necessarily limited to):

IAESTE - Work Experience Abroad

Export Orientation Programme with IBEC


Citizens Information has information for Irish citizens on going abroad as well as for international citizens working in Ireland.