Head of Group - Dr. Fawaz Aldabbagh B. Sc., Ph. D., CChem, FRSC
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Dr. Karen Fahey B. Sc., Ph.D. - Synthesis of arteriosclerosis inhibitor tetrazoles designed by Prof. Leif A. Eriksson (NUI, Galway), who is also funding the project.
Sarah Bonham (sponsored by Science Foundation Ireland, RFP 2007), Vincent Fagan (sponsored by Irish Research Council Science Engineering Technology Scholarship), Eamonn Joyce (sponsored by IRCSET Scholarship), , Padraig O'Connor (sponsored by SFI, RFP 2008), Rongbing Yang (sponsored by SFI, RFP 2008) , Robert Coyle (sponsored by NUI, Galway, College Scholarship) Christopher Magee (sponsored by IRCSET, 2010 IUPAC Polymer Chemistry) , Cormac Duffy (P/T, sponsored by Henkel Ireland)
Group Graduates with PhD "Thesis Titles"
13. Dr. Karen Fahey (Ph.D., 2010) - "Synthesis and Anticancer Activity of Benzimidazolequinones Incorporating Three-membered Rings"
12. Dr. Eoin Moriarty (Ph.D., 2010) - "Synthesis of New Aromatic Ring Fused Benzimidazolequinone Anticancer Agents by Radical Cyclizations"
11. Dr. Liz O'Donovan (Ph.D., 2009) - "First Synthesis of N-(Aziridin-2-yl)methylbenzimidazolequinones and cytotoxicity of various benzimidazolequinones towards normal and Fanconi Anaemia Cells"
10. Dr. Orla Gibbons (Ph.D., 2008) - "Conventional and Nitroxide-Mediated Radical Polymerizations of N-Isopropylacrylamide and N-tert-Butylacrylamide"
9. Dr. Sarah Hehir (Ph.D., 2008) - "Synthesis of Dimethyl Substituted Benzimidazoles Containing Cyclopropane Fused onto Five to Eight Membered [1,2-a]Alicyclic Rings and Cytotoxicity of Related Benzimidazolequinones"
8. Dr. Ronan McHale (Ph.D., 2007) - "Designed Materials by Controlled Radical Polymerizations using Chain Transfer Agents, Nitroxides and Supercritical Carbon Dioxide"
7. Dr. Mary Lynch (Ph. D., 2007) - "Synthesis of [1,2-a] Alicyclic Ring-Fused Benzimidazolequinone Bioreductive Anti-Tumour Agents by Novel Radical Cyclizations"
6. Dr. Julia Ryan (Ph. D., 2006) - "First Nitroxide-mediated Controlled/Living Radical Polymerizations (NMP) in Ionic Liquid, Dispersions in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide and Copolymerizations with Macromonomers"
5. Dr. Marisa Phelan (Ph. D., 2006) - "Mechanism and Kinetics of the Free Radical Ring-Opening Polymerization of Cyclic Allylic Sulfide Monomers"
4. Dr. Mairéad A. Clyne (Ph. D., 2006) - "Photochemical and n-Tributyltin Hydride-mediated Aromatic Substitutions of s-Imidazole Radicals"
3. Dr. Padraig McLoughlin (Ph. D., 2005) - "Homolytic Aromatic Substitution Reactions of s-Imidazole Radicals"
2. Dr. John O'Shaughnessy (Ph. D., 2005) - "Synthesis of Bioreductive Antibiotics: Pyrrolo- and Pyrido-[1,2-a]benzimidazolequinones Containing a Fused Cyclopropane Ring using Intramolecular Cycloaddition Reactions."
1. Dr. Paul Dervan (Ph. D., 2004) - "2,5- and 2,6-Spirodicyclohexyl Substituted Cyclic Nitroxide-Mediated Free Radical Polymerizations of Styrene."
Professor Per B. Zetterlund (CAMD, The University of New South Wales, Australia)
Professor Leif A. Eriksson (Chemistry, NUI, Galway)
Dr. Michael P. Carty (Biochemistry, NUI, Galway)
Drs. Yuri Rochev & William Carroll (NCBES, NUI, Galway)
Professor Rebecca Braslau (University of California, Santa Cruz, USA)
Dr. Carlos Elvira (CSIC, Madrid, Spain)
Key words- Bioreductive Antitumour Agents, Radicals, Green Chemistry, Heterocycles, Nitroxides, Organic Synthesis, Polymer Kinetics, Polymer Synthesis, Sulfur Chemistry, Supercritical Carbon Dioxide
Back to Home Page