December 2nd, 2007 - v.3.0
Version 3.0 introduces new features and improves existing ones while
also addressing all of the problems / bugs that were reported to Web Services
over the last few months. This update adds some industry-standard
Web CMS features (e.g. versioning) and improves the system's speed and
ease of use.
BUG FIXES: The following bugs have been resolved:
- User Interface:
- Improved design.
- More responsive pages.
- Introduction of more sections in the navigation menu (to facilitate
- Use of tabs within each section to group related options.
- A new 'cacheing' feature has been introduced to speed
up the 'Edit Pages' button. This also significantly speeds up your return
to the file list after editing a page.
- Publishing a page after changes are saved is now 4 times faster
- Logging in:
- The CMS will automatically navigate to your home directory when you log in. If you wish to change your default home directory, contact a member of Web services.
- The CMS now automatically keeps previous versions of all published
pages (but only for 2 weeks). You can roll-back to previous versions
from within the 'Archive' section.
- The 'Archive' section (previously called 'undelete') now attempts
to preview the selected file to help you choose the version to restore
- Tools Section:
- This new addition to the CMS is intended to contain tools that will be used occasionally. Currently, there are 2 tools in this section:
- The 'Change Password' option allows you to request a change to your CMS password. Changes are applied daily at 1pm and 5pm.
- The 'Search for Text' feature allows you to search all published pages for the entered search phrase. Any pages containing that search phrase will be listed, allowing you to preview / edit the pages as you would in the file list.
- Help Section:
- This new addition to the CMS is intended to contain help resources. We expect the number of resources within this section to grow over time. Currently, there are 2 tools in this section:
- The 'Documentation' option lists all online documentation for the CMS. Currently this consists of the training manual, an explanation of the changes made to the graphical user interface in version 3, and this document.
- The 'Contact Web Services' feature allows you to email the Web team. This should not be used as substitute for reading the online documentation.
- Editing Pages:
- The mechanism of adding anchors has been improved. All
anchors are now marked by a small anchor icon ()
which appears beside them when you are in edit mode. You can click on this
image and then click on the 'edit link' button to edit the anchor.
To remove an anchor, simply clear its Name and Title attributes.
- Opening the body editor automatically opens the search engine
optimiser, making it easier to match your keywords and description
to the page content.
- Improved support for virtual hosts (e.g. http://mysite.nuigalway.ie,
- Improved support for PHP pages in the text editor
- Added (basic) support for forms (no WYSIWYG tools - editing must be done in HTML view)
- Support for the latest (wider) NUI Galway Web template has been built in.
- You can now re-login (as a different user) and automatically return
to the same directory in the 'Published Files' list by clicking on 'Switch
- Firefox Browser Problems:
- Linking to anchors - Firefox always showed an empty list of anchors.
- Bold and Italic text were changing back to normal when the page was saved.
- Bullet lists using the NUI Galway style reverted to unstyled lists when the page was saved.*
- Plus symbols were being stripped out of page content during the save process.
- The editor's Superscript and Subscript buttons were not functioning correctly.
- Clicking the 'Undo' button resulted in the page filling with plus symbols*
- Editing the Irish version of a side navigation bar caused an english language link to the home page to appear at the top.*
- Very occasionally, some links on a page were not editable withing design view and needed to be fixed from within the HTML view.
- The text editor was not editing PHP pages correctly.
- The system was allowing full stops to be included in new file names, which
caused an error when attempting to edit the file.
- Visual inconsistencies in the footer editor were addressed.
- Users were unable to undelete .txt, .shtml, .csv, .rtf, .wmv, .mp3, .mp4,
.rss, .xml, and .swf files.
October 3rd, 2006 - v.2.02
This minor update fixes problems / annoyances that came to light as more users began to use the CMS with the new look and feel.
FEATURE ADDED: Extra XHTML rules added to avoid accidental 'breaking' of XHTML validation rules by the user.*
BUG FIX: The problem where adding a blank line to the footer caused the entire footer to be left justified has been resolved.*
BUG FIX: Pressing the save button while in HTML view did not save the changes in the Firefox browser.*
BUG FIX: Email addresses pasted into the CMS from other Web sites were not saving properly.*
BUG FIX: Links to anchors (i.e. links with a '#' in them) in the side navigation bar were not fully editable after they were added.*
BUG FIX: Improved support for apostrophes in the side navigation bar.*
June 13th, 2006 - v.2.01
This extraordinary update was made because of a limitation on the Web server which affected the CMS's ability to save shared files. The entire saving mechanism was adjusted to counteract this limitation. Most changes only affect users using the new NUI Galway look and feel.
FEATURE ADDED: Clear progress indicators when creating, deleting, un-deleting, or publishing* files/directories.
FEATURE MODIFIED: Timed publication of pages to your Web site after saving.*
Note: Publication can take up to 60 seconds. Some features in the CMS will be automatically suppressed while waiting for the page to be published.
June 1st, 2006 - v.2.0
FEATURE ADDED: Support for Firefox and Netscape Browsers (on PC and Macintosh)
FEATURE ADDED: Support for NUI Galway's new Web Templates.
FEATURE ADDED: Produces WAI-AA compliant XHTML*
FEATURE ADDED: Preview of pages in file list (when you hover over a file name) and within the
page editor (new button in control panel).
FEATURE ADDED: Improved link editing dialog within the sidenav editor*
FEATURE ADDED: Ability to link to one of 'My Files' when creating links.
FEATURE ADDED: Last uploaded file automatically appears in the URL field when adding
a link to a page.
FEATURE ADDED: Copying of existing pages is now possible via the 'New File Here' option.
FEATURE ADDED: Ability to undo any changes made by the integrated 'Microsoft Word® HTML'
FEATURE ADDED: Ability to create NUI Galway styled bullet lists (similar to those on the home page).*
FEATURE ADDED: Ability to Undelete previously deleted pages (deleted files are archived for a period of two weeks before being removed permanently).
FEATURE ADDED: Quick Launch* (ideal for making minor textual modifications when browsing
- PC users: hold down 'Shift' and right-click anywhere on the page.**
- Macintosh Users: Hold down 'Ctrl' and 'Shift', and click anywhere on the page.**
BUGFIX: Added a warning if you attempt to exit the editor when you have made changes.
BUGFIX: Text Editor now handles HTML special characters correctly.
BUGFIX: External email addresses can now be added to pages.
BUGFIX: File Information Popup lists all contributors to a page - not just the owner.
BUGFIX: The login sequence can now be invoked by pressing <enter> after typing your password.
OTHER: 'Logout' button removed from editors to prevent accidental logouts. You must return to the file
list before logging out.
* Available when editing Web sites with the latest NUI Galway Web Templates only.
** New Web page template only.
The Web Services Team,