Master of Arts in Adult Learning and Development
The Master of Arts Degree in Adult Learning and Development is intended to give training, education and human resource practitioners the opportunity to:
- Extend and deepen their knowledge and understanding of theories underlying adult learning, training, education and development;
- Apply critical analysis and problem solving skills in the development of new knowledge and practice to the field of adult learning, training, education and development;
- Contribute to the debate on the role of lifelong learning in the context of international experience, government priorities and in the framework of personal and professional development.
- Academic: Candidates must have achieved a minimum of a 2.2 honours degree.
- Technological: Candidates must have computer proficiency and access to the internet.
- Experiential: Candidates must possess a minimum of three years’ experience in training and education or other relevant experience.
Candidates for entry may be required to attend for interview prior to being offered a place on the programme. The number of places will be restricted.
2 academic years (September - April)
Next start date: Please contact the Programme Administrator
ECTS weighting: 90
Awards: Master of Arts in Adult Learning and Development*
*Participants have an exit option on successful completion of 60 ECTS. In such cases participants will be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma in Adult Learning and Development (Level 9 NFQ).
Closing date: Please contact the Programme Administrator
NFQ level: 9
Students will have to attend 1-day and 2-day workshops throughout the academic year (see below). This usually amounts to 13 days in total.
|Modules - YEAR 1
|Human Resource Development and Training for Work||5||1 day|
|The Psychology of Adult Learning and Development||10||2 days|
|Adult Learning Theories and Concepts||5||1 day|
|Teaching and Learning Online||5||1 day|
|Lifelong Learning: Concepts, Context and Issues||10||2 days|
|Social Science Research||10||2 days|
|Modules - YEAR 2
|Learning and the Individual||5||1 day|
|Management and Leadership in Training and Education (Elective)||10||2 days|
Online Learning Design (Elective)
Applications and selections
* Please note applicants are not required to complete the section relating to Leaving Cert results.
Requirements and assessment
Find out more
Adult Training and Education Studies
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
NUI Galway, Nuns' Island
T 353 91 494061
F 353 91 528905