Advanced Trainer Skills (Certificate)
The programme consists of 2 modules:
1. Coaching and Mentoring
This module builds on trainers’ competence by developing coaching and mentoring knowledge, skills and abilities. The concepts of coaching and mentoring are explored to tease out their role and importance in the workplace and to develop effective methods and approaches in the training context. The module enables those with management and or coaching roles to acquire the fundamental knowledge and skills in coaching for performance improvement. The module will focus on providing practical face to face coaching practice during the workshop on real performance issues that participants wish to address.
2. Skills for Professional Development
This module focuses on the development of skills that are seen as central to enhancing personal and professional capacity. Content reflects the development of core skills that are required to gain employment, to work collaboratively and to build the competence required to advance one’s participation in society and in the workplace.
Applicants must normally have reached 21 years of age on 1st January of the calendar year of entry. Applicants under 21 years of age must satisfy the matriculation requirements of NUI Galway. Applicants should also have appropriate experience in a training or educational organisation and must be in a position to undertake assignments and work-based projects relating to practical aspects of training or education.
Next start date: February 2015
ECTS weighting: 15
Awards: Certificate in Advanced Trainer Skills
Closing date: Please contact the Programme Administrator.
NFQ level: 7
The Certificate in Advanced Trainer Skills aims to:
- Provide participants with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to develop comprehensive coaching and mentoring competence
- Develop coaches and mentors whose practice is underpinned by a portfolio of effective personal competencies
- Foster a commitment to supporting personal performance and development through the implementation of coaching and mentoring practices that uphold a professional code of ethics and standards
- Engender a spirit of dedication to the coaching and mentoring profession built on championing the potential of the individual.
The following topics are covered in the programme:
- The role of coaching and mentoring in business today
- Approaches to coaching and mentoring
- The principles and skills underpinning effective coaching
- Ethical considerations
- Core competences of self management, communication, teamwork, creativity and innovation.
The module is delivered through a blended learning model which includes:
- Self-study of module materials including core content, reference and resource material, supplementary material; all materials are hosted on Blackboard. Students logon to Blackboard to access module materials and resources.
- Module workshops: face to face workshops designed to incorporate learning and teaching activities that facilitate exploration, understanding and application of ideas and concepts which participants learn about in the programme module;
- Online learning activities: students contribute to online activities such as blogs with the aim of contributing and sharing perspectives;
- Tutor guidance: during the programme, participants are supported by dedicated tutors who are available via telephone, face to face and email.
Who should apply?
The programme is suitable for:
- Human resource practitioners who have coaching and mentoring responsibilities.
- Organisational trainers who wish to enhance the portfolio of skills.
- Self-employed training professionals who wish to expand their skill repertoire.
Applications and selections
A fees scholarship is provided for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job Seekers Benefit
- Job Seekers Allowance
- One-Parent Family Allowance
- Disability Allowance
- Social Insurance Contribution Credits
Requirements and assessment
Attendance at 2-day and 1-day workshops (with an interval of 3 weeks between the two workshops):
- Coaching and Mentoring: 10 ECTS 2-day workshop
- Skills for Professional Development: 5 ECTS 2-day workshop
Assessment is based on a combination of written assignments, video recordings, online contributions and a portfolio project.
Find out more
Adult Training and Education Studies
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
Nuns' Island, Galway
Tel: 091 494055
Fax: 091 528905
Successful programme participants will be able to:
- Explain the concepts of coaching and mentoring and their role in enhancing individual performance in the workplace
- Explain the core competencies, including knowledge, skills and personal characteristics, of an effective and professional coach
- Describe different models of coaching and mentoring and appraise their usefulness in bridging the gap between learning and practice
- Describe the standards, best practice and code of ethics of the professional coach and mentor
- Explain the value of coaching and mentoring in the implementation of an effective personal development programme that is aligned with organisational goals
- Underpin coaching and mentoring practices with a portfolio of personal core competencies such as self-management, creativity, communication skills, interpersonal skills and people and task management skills.
- Evaluate the outcomes of coaching and mentoring strategies as they relate to individual and organisational improvement goals.
Fees for this course
EU (Total): €1,425 p.a. 2014/15
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment - please see the section titled "Applications and selections" below for further details.