Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Performance Sports Coaching (Foundation Diploma)
Are you a committed Sports Coach/Manager?
- Do you want to make a real difference to player and athlete performance?
- Do you want to develop the skills required to motivate your players and athletes to achieve full potential?
- Do you want to improve your coaching style?
- Do you want an accredited award for your Coaching Skills?
Then NUI Galway has the course for you! This course enables those with sports coaching roles to acquire the fundamental knowledge and skills in coaching for performance improvement.
Applications and Selections
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
This Foundation Diploma runs frequently throughout the year in various locations around Ireland and includes:
- Attendance at two 2-day workshops that focus on providing practical face-to-face coaching practice on real performance issues
- Open learning material with practical activities directly related to your players or athletes
- Submission of a reflective journal after each workshop and an assignment*
*You will be required to complete an assignment for submission to NUI Galway for assessment. The assignment relates to material covered in the modules and emphasises the practical application of this course material to work situations. You will be given written feedback on the assignment.
Applicants typically have appropriate experience in a training or educational organisation and are in a position to undertake assignments and work-based projects relating to practical aspects of training or education.
Entry requirements for part-time students can be found in our FAQs section (i.e. age, english language requirements etc.).
12 weeks, part-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
Next start date
Mode of study
Foundation Diploma in Performance Sports Coaching
This course focuses on practical ways of improving performance in the field of sport. The emphasis is on developing the skills you require for effective face-to-face coaching aimed at enhancing individual sports performance. You will learn how to:
- Apply the key skills of an effective performance improvement coach to your practice
- Conduct performance gap analysis
- Develop your own coaching style
- Design and set performance standards
- Apply an effective model of coaching for performance improvement
Why Choose This Course?
Who’s Suited to This Course
This course is suited to:
- Sports coaches
- Sports mentors
- Sports managers
- Coaches/managers who have responsibility to ensure performance standards are achieved
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job-seekers Benefit
- Job-seekers Allowance
- One-parent family allowance
- Disability allowance
- Community Employment Scheme
- Carer’s Allowance
- Signing for social insurance contribution credits
Please download the 2018_19 Fees Scholarship Form for more information.
Find out More
Adult Training and Education Studies
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
Nuns' Island, Galway
Tel: 091 494055
Derek Rogers | Student
I would like to thank the sports unit of NUIG for providing a great course .The Performance Sport Coaching course was a great experience, it gave me a more detailed view on how sport can be viewed .The tutor was excellent and provided great documented information that we can always go back on .The vast experience of the coaches in the room was amazing .We spent a lot of time listening to their experience and from this alone I learned a lot. I would highly recommend coaches from all sports to attend this four day course.
ATES Short Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
ATES Undergraduate Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
ATES Postgraduate Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
Adult Learning Prospectus PDF (3.4 MB)
Postgraduate Taught Prospectus 2018 PDF (7.2 MB)
Postgraduate Research Prospectus 2018 PDF (4.6 MB)
Short Courses Series 2018 PDF (1.4 MB)
Diploma Series Brochure PDF (1.6 MB)