Professional Diploma in Education (Further Education)
The Professional Diploma in Education (Further Education) provides the further education student teachers with the professional knowledge, understanding and pedagogical skills required to carry out their teaching roles and responsibilities.
The programme has been specifically developed to meet the needs of persons working in the Further Education sector who wish to register with the Teaching Council of Ireland for the purposes of registration as a Further Education teacher in Ireland and the EU, as well as other English speaking countries.
The PDE(FE) aims to:
- Provide student teachers with the theoretical knowledge, pedagogical skills and professional competences required to successfully teach and facilitate learning in the further education sector
- Develop competent teachers whose teaching practice is underpinned by ongoing reflective learning and by the core values of the teaching profession
- Engender a sense of collegiality and relationship building within the further education sector
- Foster commitment to the teaching profession built on espousing a love of teaching and lifelong learning, and on championing the potential of all learners.
- Level 8 primary degree (180 credits) or
- Level 7 ordinary degree (180 credits) and an additional qualification
Entry requirements for the programme are designed to comply with Regulation Five of the Teaching Council (Registration) Regulations, 2009. Regulation Five details the requirements for registration of teachers in the further education sector. For further information on Regulation Five see The Teaching Council (Registration) Regulations 2009. Available at: www.teachingcouncil.ie
Teaching Practice Requirements
In addition to complying with 1 or 2 above, applicants must demonstrate that they are in a position to undertake the teaching practice requirements of the PDE(FE). These include:
YEAR1: applicants must be in a position to commence their Teaching Practice Portfolio
YEAR 2: applicants must be in a position to carry out their teaching practice class requirements (100 hours of teaching) in subject(s) in which they seek to be registered by the Teaching Council and must be in a position to complete their Teaching Portfolio.
NOTE: It is the responsibility of each programme participant to arrange a suitable further education teaching practice school or centre.
Computer Proficiency Requirements
Applicants are expected to be proficient in the use of computers and the internet.
Please see the Open Learning Centre, NUI Galway website for detailed entry requirements:
2 academic years
Next start date: September 2013
ECTS weighting: 60
Awards: Professional Diploma in Education (Further Education)
NFQ level: 8
Programme modules include:
- Teaching Practice and Learning Methods
- Programme Design, Development and Assessment
- Psychology of Learning: Theories and Concepts
- Professional Teaching Practice
- Quality Assurance: Monitoring and Evaluation
- The Learning Society: Context, Structure and Policy
Applications and selections
On successful completion of the programme, student teachers will be able to:
- Evaluate teaching practices and strategies to select appropriate teaching methods for diverse learners in the further education sector
- Apply relevant theories and concepts of adult learning and teaching to teaching practices and methods
- Develop programme curricula that comply with the requirements of quality assurance policies and national awarding bodies
- Design and develop formative and summative assessment procedures that constructively support learners’ learning and that assess learners’ achievement of learning outcomes
- Design quality assurance procedures that monitor and evaluate the academic integrity and standards of FETAC (or equivalent) accredited programmes
- Reflectively appraise the knowledge and skills that contribute to successful adoption of the core values, beliefs and skills of the professional teacher
- Engage in reflective practice as part of the ongoing development of expert knowledge, pedagogical skills and professional competence.