College of Science,
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Applied Mathematics
The Research activity in Mathematics at NUI Galway covers a broad range of topics spanning Algebra, Analysis, Geometry and Topology. There is a particular strength in Computational Algebra, which has led to the establishment of de Brún Centre, with a mission is to support research in broad areas of algebra and its applications.
The various research groups within the discipline of Mathematics host a wide range of workshops, seminars and graduate courses, resulting in a unique and thriving graduate research programme.
Recent graduates are now working as lecturers and postdoctoral researcher at third-level institutes. Others are working in industry, including banking and finance, and in the Meteorological Service.
MSc (Mathematics), part-time
Areas of interest
- Group theory including group varieties, representation theory of finite groups, associative and non-associative rings, and group rings, coding theory and cryptography.
- Computational algebra including computational homological algebra, computational group theory, computational representation theory.
- Linear and Multilinear Algebra
Analysis and Numerical Analysis
- Functional analysis, in particular tensor products, multilinear forms, polynomials and holomorphic functions on Banach spaces.
- Non-linear analysis, including differential and integral equations, and fixed point theory.
- Numerical analysis and computational differential equations.
Geometry and Topology
- Differential geometry and the geometry and topology of Lie groups and homogeneous spaces
- Analytic topology and order
MSc (full-time) GYT27
MSc (part-time) GYT28
Fees for this course
EU: €4,529 p.a. 2014/15 inclusive of student levy
Non-EU: €13,750 p.a. 2014/15
Full time EU Fee €4,529 p.a.
Part time EU Fee €2,915 p.a.
Pádraig Ó Catháin
"I love being a PhD student in Maths. It's given me the skills to analyse complex problems and uncover unexpected links between different topics. I also know that I am being prepared for either a career in academia or industry. "