Structured PhD (Applied Mathematics) full-time
College of Science,
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Applied Mathematics
All PhD students in the College of Science will enroll in a Structured PhD
The research activity of the discipline covers a range of topics in both Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, with a particular emphasis on dynamical systems theory, quantum field theory, conformal field theory and modeling and analysis of partial differential equations. Members of the discipline are involved in joint projects with other disciplines/research units within the University, and are also involved in a number of international collaborations.
Areas of interest
- Multibody system dynamics, numerical bifurcation analysis, piecewise smooth dynamical systems, biomathematics.
- Quantum field theory and conformal field theory, vertex operator algebras, modular groups and forms.
- Theoretical high energy physics: renormalization theory and supersymmetry.
- Modelling and analysis of diffusion problems arising in solid state physics and drug release; modelling of wastewater treatment processes—in particular, anaerobic processes.
- Elastic waves and stability, Nonlinear Solid Biomechanics.
- See also below link: http://www.maths.nuigalway.ie/research/
Fees for this course
EU: €4,529 p.a. 2014/15 inclusive of levy
Non-EU: €13,750 p.a. 2014/15