Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing (Gerontology)—
full-time and part-time
College of Medicine, Nursing, & Health Sciences
The programme is delivered over one year or over two years and is comprised of seven theory/practice modules. The student will continue to work in their own practice area caring for older people while undertaking the course. There are three core modules, three specialist modules, and one module will be chosen from a range of elective module options. The programme is dynamic and flexible and it is expected that the elective module range will increase over time and students will be offered more choice in which elective options they can take. In addition students will complete three clinical competency assessments, one in each trimester. The overall course is viewed as interconnected and interdependent. In all modules there is an emphasis on exploring the relevance of module content to practice. All assessments are structured to allow students to explore "new" knowledge in the reality of their practice, thus providing them with an opportunity to integrate theory and practice.
The course is approved by An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann and has a clinical focus, offering opportunities to develop specialist skills. The programme is offered through a blended learning format - a combination of online and face-to-face learning and teaching. Blended learning is an innovative and flexible approach to learning, making it possible to combine working full-time with studying.
All applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
1. Be a registered nurse on the General, Mental Health, or Learning Disability Nurse divisions of the Register maintained by An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann;
2. Have a minimum of one year post-registration experience (exclusive of post-registration courses); be currently working in a setting which requires him/her to care for older people, and have a minimum of six months clinical experience in caring for older people within the previous year;
3. Satisfy the selection panel that they have the ability to complete the programme;
4. Have an honours degree or equivalent.
Applicants who hold neither an honours degree nor higher diploma (Level 8) may apply but must clearly demonstrated their capacity to undertake a programme at this level. In addition to the requirements outlined above these applicants are expected to submit a 1,000-word literature-based essay on a topic relevant to the specialist area. To be considered for admission this essay must be judged equivalent to an honours degree (Level 8).
1 year, full-time | 2 years, part-time (While at the same time students continue to work in practice with their existing employer.)
Next start date: September 2015
ECTS weighting: 90
Average intake: 20
Closing date: Please refer to the review/closing date website.
- Clinical Governance: Supporting Safe Practice – core module
- Using Research in Practice – core module
- Nature and Experience of Ageing – specialist module
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing – specialist module
- Nursing Care of Older People – specialist module
- Service Improvement – core module
- Clinical Competence I
- Clinical Competence II
- Clinical Competence III
Please note that the programme and option modules offered are subject to sufficient student numbers.
Applications and selections
Who teaches this course?
Mary Gannon, MHSc, HDip Nursing Science (Gerontology), RGN
Claire O'Tuathail: RN, Dip. Gerontology, PGCTLHE, MSc
Claire Welford, RGN, Dip NS, BNS (Hons); MSc
Sinéad Hahessy, RGN, B.A., M.A.(Soc.Sc). Pg Cert in Teaching and Learning.
Marcella Horrigan Kelly, B.Sc. (South Bank Univ.), M.Sc., R.G.N., R.M, R.P.H.N,R.N.T
Dr Adeline Cooney, M. Med.Sc., BNS, RGN, RNT, PhD
GYM15 full-time; GYM49 part-time;
Fees for this course
EU (Total): €5,005 p.a. 2014/15 (Inclusive of Levy & SCC)
- Tuition: €4,781 p.a. 2014/15
- Student levy: €224 p.a. 2014/15
Non-EU (Total): €13,750 p.a. 2014/15
€5,005 full time GYM15
€2,560 part time GYM49
Current student details/course
"...Course student quote..."
Download taught and research
Past student name
Past student details
"...Past student quote..."