Certificate in Nursing (Nurse/Midwife Prescribing)
College of Medicine, Nursing, & Health Sciences
This programme's development is in response to a need for nurses and midwives to prescribe, in order to support high quality person-centred care. This follows from two key reports which mooted the extension of prescriptive authority for nurses and midwives; i.e. The Commission on Nursing in 1998, followed by the Review of the Scope and Practice for Nursing and Midwifery Final report in 2000. This recommendation was comprehensively evaluated in a 3½ year joint project by An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann and the National Council for the Professional Development of Nursing and Midwifery in 2005. The review concluded that prescriptive authority should be extended to nurses and midwives. A further implementation project in 2008 put in place the regulatory, professional and support requirements which enabled nurses and midwives to take on this role. Prescriptive authority was extended to nurses and midwives by the Minister for Health and Children in 2007.
Nurses and midwives prescribe within the confines of robust legislation and professional regulation and their scope of practice. Improving client care is core to this extended role.
The programme is delivered over a six-month period. Students will attend college for an induction day and three-days of workshop for each module (10 days in total). In addition, students will be mentored in their practice setting for the duration of the programme which will include 12 days of direct supervision of the prescriptive process by a designated medical practitioner.
The programme is comprised of three theory/practice modules a clinical competency assessment in prescribing.
All applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Be registered as a nurse or midwife on the live register of An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann, Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Be currently employed as a nurse or midwife.
- Have a minimum of three years recent post-registration clinical experience in nursing or midwifery (within the last five years) with the equivalent of one-year full-time experience in the specific area of practice in which prescribing is proposed.
- Possess the competencies recognised at Level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications.Provide evidence of undertaking continuing professional education.
- Have support from employer to undertake the programme as evidenced by a completed Site Declaration Form.
- Confirmation of a designated nurse/midwife/medical mentor as evidenced by a completed Site Declaration Form.
Note: The must be competed on behalf of the Health Service Provider by the Director of Nursing/Midwifery/Public Health Nursing or relevant nurse or midwife manager (and the form should be returned to PACas part of the online application process; more information on this aspect will be given when you make your online application). Further guidance on these requirements have been made available by the Office of the Nursing Services Director (2009); visit their website here.
Six months, full-time
Next start date: September 2014
ECTS weighting: 30
Average intake: 6 (minimum) Please note that the programme offered is subject to sufficient student numbers.
9 July 2014Extended to 18 July 2014
- Physical Assessment Skills
- Professional, Ethical & Legal Issues of Nurse and Midwife Prescribing Drugs
- Drugs, Patients and Illness.
- Clinical Competency—Prescribing
Applications and selections
Who teaches this course?
Dr John Kelly BSc (Pharmacology) PhD (Neuropharmacology)
Professor Peter Cantillon, Head of Discipline, General Practice
Evelyn Byrne, MSc, RCNT, RGN RCN
Yvonne Conway, MSc (Primary Care), BNS, RGN, RNT
Bernard McCarthy, Dip.Nurse Mgt. (RCSI), Cert.Adult. Ed. (City & Guilds), BSc (South Bank), C.Q.A.M. (GMIT), MSc (Dub.)
Frances Farrelly, MSc, BNS, RGN, RNT
Dr Maura Dowling, MSc, BNS, RNT, RGN, RM, Cert Oncology, PhD
Fees for this course
EU (Total): €3,000 p.a. 2014/15 (inclusive of Levy)
- Tuition: €2,776 p.a. 2014/15
- Student levy: €224 p.a. 2014/15
Non-EU (Total): €13,750 p.a. 2014/15
Current student details/course
"...Course student quote..."
Download taught and research
Past student name
Past student details
"...Past student quote..."