Bachelor of Science (Biopharmaceutical Chemistry)
College of Science
What our lecturers say
What our students say
Studying Biopharmaceutical Chemistry
Minimum Grade Higher C3 in two subjects and Passes in four other subjects at Higher or Ordinary Level in the Leaving Certificate including: Irish, English, Maths, a laboratory science subject (i.e. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science) and any two other subjects recognised for entry purposes.
Next start date: September 2014
Entry points(2013): range 505 - 585
A Level Grades (2013): A*A*A* (A Level) & b (AS) or equivalent combination
Average intake: 10
- Computers in Chemistry
- Pharmacology Fundamentals
- Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
- Approaches to Drug Design & Discovery
- Principles of Toxicology (Pharmacology)
- Further specialisation in Chemistry, with selected topics in Biopharmaceutical Chemistry: Protein Engineering, Proteinbased Therapeutics, Drug Development and Delivery, Glycosciences (the chemistry and biology of carbohydrates), Biotechnology, Mammalian Cell Growth and Bioprocess Monitoring
- Students will also complete a research project in one of these areas
Fees for this course
EU (Total): €7,492 p.a. 2014/15 (Inclusive of Levy & SCC)
- Tuition: €4,518 p.a. 2014/15
- Student contribution: €2,750 p.a. 2014/15
- Student levy: €224 p.a. 2014/15
Non-EU (Total): €13,750 p.a. 2014/15
- Tuition: may be paid by the Irish Government on your behalf if you qualify for free tuition fees see - free fee initiative.
- Student Contribution: €2,750 - payable by all students but may by paid by SUSI if you apply and are deemed eligible for a means tested SUSI grant.
- Student Levy: €224 - payable by all students and is not covered by SUSI.
BS (Biopharmaceutical Chemistry)
"I've always found chemistry enjoyable, and I chose to continue on studying it. Biopharmaceutical Chemistry is a new and exciting course. Whether you prefer the more academic side of chemistry or the thrilling practical side of it, Biopharmaceutical Chemistry has it all and with many job prospects in the future too! If you choose to come and study this, you will also experience the great life that NUI Galway has to offer to its students."