Postgraduate taught courses in economics
Learn about our each our taught masters degree programmes in economics
For those seeking a bridge to a masters degree in economics, we have a two semester intensive taught postgraduate programme at higher diploma level:
Economics at NUI Galway has an exciting and innovative range of taught postgraduate options, reflecting the expertise of our academic staff in specialist areas, and directed at students with a range of interests and ambitions.
Our taught postgraduate programmes:
- offer students the opportunity to achieve a recognised advanced qualification in the discipline of economics, which is often a prequisite to working as an economist in public and private sector roles,
- build upon and deepen core theoretical, analytical, empirical, and policy-relevant skills,
- provide pathways to developing a specialism in particular fields of economics and/or in distinct methodologies,
- allow for the development and application of research skills through thesis and project work, and in the case of some of our programmes, through placements/internships, offer experience in 'real world' economics e.g., public policy environments,
- can be an important foundation for, and bridge to, further advanced work, including at PhD level.
Our four taught masters programmes reflect the depth and quality of specific research specialisms within the discipline of economics at NUI Galway, and build upon the research expertise of core staff members.
Our academic staff are highly research active, at internationally recognised levels, reflected in international peer-reviewed publications and success in winning internationally competitive research funding, which in turn animates teaching at all levels
Head of Economics
t:+353 91 492501/492177