Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Engineering Work Placements
The Professional Experience Programme (PEP) is an integral part of the programmes offered by the College of Engineering and Informatics, NUI Galway. PEP offers students an opportunity to avail of work integrated learning relevant to their programme of study which will significantly improve your chances of obtaining employment after graduation.
Employers recruit our students, because they:
- bring new ideas and look at ‘old’ problems with ‘fresh eyes’
- have good problem-solving and analytical skills
- are up-to-date on new techniques and technologies
Placement is an important part of your programme, as it gives you the chance to see what it is like to work in an area related to your degree. This will help you make more informed decisions about your career.
Multinational and national companies from all sectors of engineering and ICT participate in the NUI Galway Engineering PEP programme. Students are employees of a host organisation/company for the duration of their PEP, and work on designated projects and duties assigned to them by the host organisation.
Students gain a practical appreciation of the needs and skill sets required in business and industry. Towards the end of third year, you will undertake an eight-month (January-August) off-campus work placement. Civil and Project and Construction students undertake a five-month (April-August) work placement. This Professional Experience Programme gives you an opportunity to work on projects relevant to your programme of study. Training in communication skills, teamwork, ethics and other professional skills are provided throughout your time in NUI Galway in order to prepare you for the working environment.
Staff in the Placement Office assist students to acquire their placement in Ireland or abroad. Often students are offered graduate positions with their placement company.
PEP gives students the opportunity to:
- Gain valuable work experience in a relevant technical and business area.
- Experience the workplace culture within a supported environment
- Develop a range of work-related technical, business, organisational, team and management skills demanded by graduate employers
- Apply skills developed during the first three years of the degree programme.
- Put theory into practice, working on practical industry and/or research projects
- Develop technical skills
- Build a network of industry contacts
- Gain insights into future career opportunities and enable more informed career choices.
- Improve employability
- Earn a salary as most placements are paid.
- Experience the working environment of specific employers
- Gain experience in CV preparation and job application interview skills
- Consider ideas for subsequent final year project
- Develop both personally and professionally: gaining confidence, working individually and in a team, taking on positions of responsibility, making decisions, enhancing communications, reporting skills, and supporting others
Find out more: