ComputerDISC Opening Hours - From September 25th, 2014
ComputerDISC Feedback Survey
We are looking to improve this service each year so we have created a short anonymous survey with just 10 questions. We will take all feedback, both positive and negative, very seriously and we would really appreciate it if you could take 5 minutes to complete the survey. If you have the time, please follow the link below:
Computer Programming Drop-In Support Centre
What is ComputerDISC?
ComputerDISC is a Computer Programming Drop-In Support Centre for all NUI Galway students who are taking any programming/software development courses. The DISC is a free service that supports all students with their self-directed learning in computing topics at all years and levels in NUI Galway.
What services does ComputerDISC provide to students?
- Facilities for students to sit and work on programming problems
- One-to-one advice and support for students, and focused small group tutorials
- Books, courseware, web links, and other learning resources for programming students
- A website with information and an email service for all queries
- Advice for students who wish to learn new programming languages autonomously
- Assistance with new technologies for project work such as Final Year Projects
The Philosophy of ComputerDISC
What is the philosophy of ComputerDISC?
- The DISC is an additional service to lectures and tutorials; do not attempt to use it as a substitute to these.
- Always prepare for your visits as much as possible.
- Students must bring along their lecture/tutorial notes. It is not possible to get help by showing up with a blank sheet of paper and an assignment sheet!
- Tutors CANNOT answer assignment questions for you. They will, however, discuss a particular question provided the student has all of their work with them and the tutor is looking over the student’s own solution.
When you are dropping in:
- Bring relevant lecture notes, or know where to find them on Blackboard
- Bring your code on a USB key, from your own attempt at tackling your problem
- Bring a notebook: it’s an important tool for any programmer!
- If you need help on specialist topics, check the timetable and tutors’ areas of expertise.
Services That Are Not Provided By ComputerDISC
It is important to make it clear that ComputerDISC will not provide the following:
- Solutions to weekly lab assignments
- Exam paper solutions for any module
- Student technical support