Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
What We Do
The Human Resources Office operates within a number of teams, as indicated on the organisation chart:
- HR Operations Team are responsible for the administration of Human Resources work relating to staff contracts of employment, entitlements, recruitment and selection, promotions, staff deployment and leave and ensuring this is carried out in a fair and competent manner, according to best practice and in keeping with legislation and university policies. It is reponsible for maintaining staff records and HR systems accurately and providing information and advice to staff and managers relating to University policies and procedures regarding all of the above.
- HRIS team provides technical leadership and advocacy to colleagues and other stakeholders in respect of the Human Resources systems and processes. They are responsible for the implementation of appropriate processes to fully exploit information technology resources within the Human Resources Office, in particular the implementation, support and enhancement of modules of our HR system (CoreHR ).They are responsible for specifying, developing and producing various HR information reports for external organisations and for internal customers.
- HR Business Partners are aligned to specific Colleges /Research /Units within the University. They work in partnership with these units to deliver best practice HR solutions that support the University’s strategic priorities, in conjunction with specialist HR functions. The HR Business Partners provide specialist coaching and support to University management to enable them to effectively manage their human resources.
- Organisational Staff Training and Development team provides developmental support to University staff through the following services:
- Advise and support individuals and managers in terms of their own or team development
- Runing specific tailored training interventions with managers and teams
- Policy design and development in areas such as mentoring, performance management
- New staff induction and guidance to managers
- A range of training and development programmes and events over academic year
- Administration of Further Education Policy fund
- The Equality and Diversity service works to deliver the University’s equality objectives and promotes equality across all groups.
- The Employee Relations service forms the bridge between managers and staff in the University. It provides strategic advice to management teams on shaping their service and developing ideas from the concept stage through to implementation. The Employee Relations Service provides advice and training on the implementation of the University’s employee policies and procedures to both staff and managers alike. It also provides advice on compliance with relevant employment legislation. It will negotiate employee agreements on behalf of the University with staff representatives. It also provides advice to managers on employee management issues, e.g. engagement, change management and staff development.
HR Excellence in Research
Supporting researchers and increasing the international profile of the University.
In October 2013 NUI Galway was awarded the HR Excellence in Research Logo in recognition of our commitment in implementing the principles of European Charter & Code for Researchers.