Staff Identification Number (payroll number)

A Staff ID (payroll) number is your unique identifying number for access to University services. You will be allocated one when your contract is confirmed and you have submitted all personal details (i.e. PPS number, bank details etc.) to the Human Resources Office. Therefore, it is essential that you submit all details as soon as possible, otherwise your access to services may be delayed.

You may email hr@nuigalway.ie to obtain your staff ID number.

Pay Date & Bank Details

NUI Galway salary payments less appropriate deductions are made on the third last working day of each month by direct debit into your bank account, except for December. Payroll payment dates are available here. Up-to-date bank details must be given to the Human Resources Office to facilitate these payments.

Bank Details must include:
  • Name and address of Bank branch
  • Account number, sort code, IBAN, BIC
  • Name(s) in which account is held

Payroll information for Staff starting employment

Please click here for important payroll information i.e. payslip access, payment dates, tax and statutory deductions etc.

Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number)

If you have not previously worked in Ireland you will need to obtain a PPS number.  The number may be obtained at the Department of Social Protection Office in Sean Duggan Centre, Fairgreen Road, Galway.  It is not possible to get a PPS number before entering the country if you are arriving in Ireland for the first time.  Contact number: 00 353 91 500 800.

This is your unique reference number for all your dealings with the Public Service (e.g. applying to the Tax Office for a Tax Credits Certificate, applying to the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs for a Social Welfare payment scheme etc.).  You should have a PPS number if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • Born in the State after 1971
  • Registered for tax after 1979
  • In receipt of a Social Welfare Payment
  • Issued with a Social Services Card

Please see Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection website for information on PPS  Number Rules and How to Apply.

Please return the following documents completed in full to HR with your signed contract:-

1.  ASC10 Form

In order for payroll to determine what rate of ASC (Additional Superannuation Contribution) is applicable to your earnings at NUI Galway you must complete a "ASC10 Employment Declaration Form" upon commencement of employment at NUI Galway. Please click here for further information about ASC.

2.   ASC45 Certificate of Cessation

If you were previously in pensionable public service employment in Ireland during the year you commenced employment at NUI Galway, you must provide to HR or Payroll your ASC45 Certificate of Cessation. Your previous public sector employer must provide this document to you when you leave their employment. Further information about ASC documents is available here.

3.   Pension Declaration Form

In order for the Pensions Office to determine which pension scheme you should be entered into, please complete the Pension Declaration Form in full.