NUI Galway is committed to playing a vital role in the local community. Our community activities are diverse and involve the entire university across the staff and student body.
ALIVE Student Volunteering Programme
ALIVE co-ordinates and develops student volunteering, and puts local charities and community groups in touch with NUI Galway students. Over 1,000 students and staff volunteer with over 120 organisations, charities and schools.
Volunteering at NUI Galway
Find out more about ALIVE - NUI Galway's volunteer programme
The Access Programme activities are devised to advance the social, economic, educational and cultural needs of the Western region.
- Schools Programme: Access operates programmes in primary and secondary schools in Galway city to sensitise the students to third level education and to create positive experiences through various interactions with the student and the university.
- Third Level Education Opportunities: Access provides third level education for students who are unable to access it because of financial or social reasons. We effectively target the most disadvantaged in the region. We work with all schools to offer preparation for entry into our University, while remaining sensitive to the rural and Gaeltacht communities.
Find out more about our Access Schools Programme
Science and Engineering Outreach
We have an international reputation for excellence in research, and make meaningful contributions regionally and internationally. Our network of dedicated science and engineering outreach programmes promote science and research at NUI Galway and offer education programmes. Programmes are offered throughout the region via schools, public exhibitions and festivals by Outreach officers at the:
- Environmental Change Institute (ECI)
- Regenerative Medicine Institute (REMEDI)
- National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science (NCBES)
- Centre for Data Analytics (Insight)
- Applied Optics Research Group (AO)
Find out more about Science and Engineering Outreach
Computers for the Community
Over the last six years NUI Galway has cleared, updated and donated hundreds of computers and office equipment to over 60 schools, organisations and charities.
Find out more about Computers for the Community