Understanding course fees
Fees are broadly categorised as EU, Non EU, Full Time, Part Time, Undergraduate, or Postgraduate.
EU undergraduate fees are paid by EU nationals (EU birth certificate or passport) and have 3 elements as follows:
1) Tuition fee (may be government funded and varies from programme to programme): Free tuition fees is where the Higher Education Authority pays the tuition element on behalf of the student.
2) Student contribution €2,250 (may be paid by applying to www.studentfinance.iefor a means tested Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) grant, County Council / VEC grant or Roinn Oideachais scholarship).
3) Student levy €224. This is payable by all students.
Government funded “free tuition fees” (applies to Full Time Undergraduate courses only). To be eligible for 'free tuition fees', the following criteria must be met:
The student is attending a full time undergraduate course
- The course is a minimum of two years duration
- The student has never been to third level before either here or anywhere else in the EU
- The student is an Irish national who has lived here for 3 of the past 5 years
- The student is a national of an EU state who has lived in the EU for 3 of the past 5 years
- The student has Official Irish Refugee status and who has lived in the EU for 3 of the past 5 years
If in doubt read the criteria for determining eligibility.
Student contribution €2,250 for 2012/2013
This fee must be paid by students, even if they are entitled to free fees.
However, if you are in receipt of a SUSI grant (or pre 2011/12 County Council / VEC / Roinn Oideachais grant holders) this student contribution may be paid on your behalf by SUSI or grant authority provider.
Student levy €224 for 2012/13
This levy is payable by all students, regardless of whether they are entitled to free fees or are in receipt of a grant / scholarship.
International (NON EU) Fee
The Non EU fee is the fee for those who are residents outside the European Union.
Find a course
Fund your studies
The Fees Office is located on the ground floor of Áras Uí Chathail (beside Áras na Mac Léinn/Bailey Allen Hall)
We are open from 10 a.m. until 12.30 p.m. and 2.00 p.m. until 4.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Fees Office staff can also be contacted via:
T 353 91 492386
F 353 91 495553