Situated near the bustling city of Galway, the university is easily accessible by car and public transport. We'll also provide directions from the airport.
Travelling by Car
Follow the directions below, or use this journey plannerto plan your exact route.
From the South
- From Cork or Limerick, approach Galway on the N18. You'll by-pass Ennis & Gort and pass through Adrahan and Clarinbridge.
- Arrive at the Oranmore roundabout just outside Galway. Take the second exit at this roundabout.
- From Oranmore to NUI Galway, follow the dual carriageway (N6) until the Martin roundabout and take the second exit, sign-posted Galway West.
- At the next roundabout take the second exit, sign-posted Clifden.
- Continue on to Kirwan roundabout, take the second exit.
- Come to your sixth and last roundabout and take the fourth exit, sign-posted Clifden.
- Turn left at the next traffic lights, towards Lower Salthill.
- Continue on until the next traffic lights, and turn left into the Newcastle Road entrance to the University.
From the North/East
- From Dublin and Belfast, continue onto M4 (signs for Sligo). At junction 1, exit onto M6 toward Galway and follow signs for Galway.
- Arrive at roundabout off M6. Take the first exit at this roundabout and the third exit at the next roundabout just up ahead which will bring you on to the Dublin Road.
- Continue straight on the Dublin Road following the directions for City West to NUI Galway.
Travelling by Public Transport
Galway is easily accessible by public transport.
- Trains: Galway's train station is just off Eyre Square. The city's very well serviced by rail and only 2.5 hours away from Dublin. Find out more information on services and timetables.
- Buses: You can travel to Galway using frequent services offered by our public bus service, or use one of the private bus services such as CityLink or GoBus. Direct (non-stop) buses from Dublin take 2.5 hours.
- From the city centre, you can take a taxi to the university, or take the No.4 Bus in the direction of Newcastle from Eyre Square, near the train station, which is the normal drop-off point for buses.
Travelling by Air
The University is within easy reach of Galway Airport, Ireland West Airport Knock, Dublin, and Shannon airports.