Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
SSL VPN - Instructions
These instructions are intended to facilitate anyone who wishes to use SSLVPN for RDP and SSH connections to internal resources from wireless and off campus locations.
How to Request Access to SSL VPN
Logging on to SSL VPN
- Connect to myfiles.nuigalway.ie, select the appropriate realm and logon with UDS username and password
- Once logged on, you will see a screen similar to the layout below depending on the resources you have requested. If you have no RDP or SSH requirements, the html5 window will not be visible. The number of entries in the html5 window will depend on the number of resources you have requested access to.
- The SSL toolbar will be displayed in top right hand corner
- Click on an RDP or SSH link and you will connect via a browser to the specified resource. RDP and SSH over html5 is built on Apache Guacamole (https://guacamole.apache.org/).
- Click on the home button to close RDP connection
- You may be presented with this screen, if so click on home
The specific user guide relating to our use of Apache Guacamole is located https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/using-guacamole.html. This covers general functions covering SSH and RDP and has further information on the guacamole menu.
RDP - Instructions
Transfer file up to the server you have connected to via RDP.
- While connected to the RDP session, Select CTRL-Alt-Shift to bring up Guacamole menu as below.
- Click shared drive on this window
- Click Upload file and browse to the location of the file you want to copy to the remote server
- A progress bar will appear in the bottom Left hand corner of the screen
- Select CTRL-ALT-Shift again to close Control window
- Open file manager on the remote server and you will notice a new drive called GuacamoleRDP and the file you have uploaded will be in this drive.
WARNING: This storage is only temporary. If you disconnect from the RDP session, the next time you connect the file will no longer be in the Guacamole RDP folder.
- Copy the file from the Guacamole folder to another location on server.
Transfer file from RDP server to local desktop
- Open file manager on remote server and double click Guacamole RDP drive to show downloads folder
- Copy the file you wish to transfer into this folder
- Note the file transfers window in bottom right hand of screen
- Double click on link
- File is downloaded to local PC through browser and saved in download directory set up on the browser.
SSH - Instructions
Upload file to SSH resource.
- Connect and log into SSH server resource
- Select ctrl-alt-shift to bring up guacamole menu and click on device button for server directory
- Navigate to directory on SSH server you wish to drop file into
- Click upload files and browse to local pc directory
- File transfers window in bottom right hand corner records activity and notifies when upload is complete
- Select ctrl-alt-shift to close menu
- Check server & file will be in the specified directory
Download file from SSH resource
- Select ctrl-alt-shift to bring up guacamole menu
- Select device and browse to source directory on SSH resource
- Double click on file, file transfers window creates a link
- Double click this link and file downloads into default browser directory
Copy Text To and From Remote Computer
Copy text from Remote Computer to Local Computer using clipboard
- Connect to the remote machine using the html5 SSL link on your myfile.nuigalway.ie profile.
- Open the application you wish to copy text from.
- Copy the text using the normal File, Copy menu bar to the Notepad application on the remote computer.
- Press ctrl-alt-shift on the remote computer RDP connection to bring up Guacamole menu. The text just copied will appear in the clipboard in this window.
- Highlight the text within the clipboard window and copy. The text will now be in the clipboard of the local computer and can be pasted in the normal way to a local application.
Copy text from Local Computer to Remote Computer using Clipboard
- On the local machine, copy the required data to the local clipboard.
- Connect to the remote computer using the htlm5 link in the myfiles.nuigalway.ie profile
- On the remote computer, ctrl-alt-shift to bring up Guacamole menu
- Click into clipboard and paste text
- Close Guacamole menu by pressing ctrl-alt-shift
- Go to required application on remote server, in this case notepad, and paste as normal