Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
MATLAB is a high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to perform computationally intensive tasks faster than with traditional programming languages such as C, C , and Fortran. Further description of MATLAB products is available from MathWorks
- Windows Yes
- Macintosh Yes
- Linux Yes
Does NUI, Galway have a site licence for MATLAB software?
No. NUI, Galway currently has a limited number of licences for use in the PC Suites only.
- MATLAB is available in PC Suites.
MATLAB offer a student edition – available for purchase online
- Staff / Postgrade Researchers
There is no central Matlab license for researchers in place for the University. However, ISS co-ordinate an Academic Group Research License that is currently used by a small number of individual researchers. Note that any department with more than 5 licenses can create and administer their own Matlab group license.
If you would like to purchase a Matlab license as part of the Academic Group Research License, here are the necessary steps:
1. Request a quote directly from The MathWorks for the Matlab licenses (including toolboxes) that you require for addition to the group license. Please contact the Service Desk for details of the account contact name and details required for the quote.
2. Your department will then pay for these licenses directly to the MathWorks.
3. Note that each Matlab license is tied to a single computer Ethernet address and requires Internet activation. When you receive details from The MathWorks of the license purchase, please forward them to the Service Desk to request that your license is allocated to the appropriate researcher.
4. At the next (and subsequent) annual renewal of the Academic Group license in March, ISS will internally invoice your department for the ongoing maintenance cost of those licenses.
Can I install MATLAB software on my home computer?
No. Licences must be purchased from MathWorks
Where can I get technical support about MATLAB?
Technical support is available from Mathworks
Important Information for Users of the Symbolic Math Toolbox™ and Extended Math Toolbox™
For many years, The MathWorks has resold the Maple engine under the product names Symbolic Math Toolbox and Extended Symbolic Math Toolbox. With effect from the 18th of September 2008, the Maple engine will now be sold exclusively by Maplesoft.
MapleSoft offers the Maple Toolbox for MATLAB®, which provides direct access to all of the commands, variables, and functions of each product while allowing you to work in either environment. This is the ideal option for MATLAB® users who rely on symbolic computation, and it provides a fully backwards compatible solution to existing customers of the Symbolic Math Toolbox™ products.
NUI Galway has a site licence for Maple and the Maple Toolbox for MATLAB (MTM) is available under that agreement.