Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
SPSS is a program used for statistical analysis
- Windows Yes
- Macintosh Yes
- Linux No
Note: Check if your Windows computer is a 32 bit or 64 bit. Instructions are available here if needed.
SPSS software available to download:
- SPSS 25 for Windows 32 bit computer (Fix pack 001 is available here)
- SPSS 25 for Windows 64 bit computer (Fix pack 001 is available here)
- SPSS 25 for MAC (Fix pack 001 is available here)
the above links require you to authenticate with your NUI Galway credentials
- SPSS 24 for Windows 32 bit computer (Fix pack 001 is available here)
- SPSS 24 for Windows 64 bit computer (Fix pack 001 is available here)
- SPSS 24 for MAC (Fix pack 001 is available here)
The recommended Licence Manager to use with SPSS 24 is Version 9.6 which can also be downloaded from the link above. Please make sure to uninstall any older Versions, before upgrading to the new Version. Rather than a PDF, here is a link to a YouTube tutorial that assists you in installing the new Licence Manager as there are now 2 parts involved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4p1LB5c-y4. Please watch from 2.30 onwards.
- SPSS 22 for Windows 32 bit computer
- SPSS 22 for Windows 64 bit computer
- SPSS 22 for MAC
- SPSS Amos - Vis Designer - Sample Power - SPSS Test Analytics - Data Collection Data Entry
SPSS is installed on the standard Staff Build and in each Computer Suite. Staff or Postgraduate students who connect their NUI Galway laptops or desktops to the Unversity network via cable may install the latest SPSS using our Self Service Option.
To install software on your machine, you must login as an administrator .
you will need to extract this file before proceeding with the install:
1. Right click 'extract all'
2. Select a folder to extract to
3. Press Extract
Double-click setup.exe to begin the installation. Allow some moments for the process to begin.
Licence Type is single user. After installation you will be provided an opportunity to enter the site licence. At Organisation prompt input NUI Galway.
Please refer to Known Issues before starting installation
To obtain a SPSS Licence code, you are obliged to sign a SPSS Copyright Acknowledgement Form
How to install Vis Designer
How to install Sample Power
Does NUI Galway have a site license for SPSS software?
Yes. NUI Galway has a site licence agreement which is renewed in July. SPSS may be used by any employee, student or other persons authorised by NUI Galway for the purposes of the normal business of the University, whether or not they are located on campus. Such use of the software includes:
- Personal educational development
- Administration and management of the business of the University
- Development work associated with any of the above.
How do I renew my SPSS license code?
- Log onto the computer with Administrator rights
- Programs > SPSS > SPSS License Authorization Wizard
- License Status window will open, click Next
- Select Licence my product now and click Next
- Enter the license code when prompted.
- You should get a message informing you the code has been successfully applied.
- Click Next and Finish to exit
Where can I get technical support about SPSS?
Technical support is available online from the SPSS website
If your query is not answered on the SPSS website, the site license agreement allows for technical support via a single technical contact only. Please contact the Service Desk with any such query.
- MAC Users: When installing SPSS on a MAC you must have an administrator password set on your machine.
- Windows Users: (Error 1935) Disable McAfee Virus protection software while installing SPSS. McAfee will allow connections over Internet explorer, it will not allowing other programmes to connect to the Internet. Once installation is complete re-enable McAfee.
- Windows Users: Error 1335 when trying to install SPSS
1. First, copy the SPSS folder to your c: drive.
2. Upon completion of copying the folder go to Start->Run.
3. In the open field add C:SPSSsetup.exe, select OK. SPSS should now install.
- SPSS Borrow Licence for Network Licence Key
- If you install SPSS via our Software Self Service option. The default licence mode is via our network server. This means that the licence will be renewed centrally each year in July thereby removing the need for you to update it manually.
- This also means that when you use SPSS outside of the campus network, you will need to borrow (or check out) a licence from our licence server. Details on activating this commuter licence are available here: Borrow an SPSS Licence