All computers and ancillary equipment are covered by the Property Damage policy in relation to material damage, all risks and theft, subject to €5,000 excess, each and every claim.


FAQs (frequently asked questions):

1.       What does this policy cover?

This policy covers such equipment for negligent breakdown only.  For other computer claims please see the Property Damage and Business Interruption Policy.


2.       What about laptops?

Please note that laptops are particularly vulnerable to loss, theft or damage as they are particularly desirable and easy to steal. Those who are provided with such equipment should exercise great care to protect the property and ensure that it is kept always in a safe secure place.


3.       What is the excess on this policy?

€200, negligent breakdown only

24hr breakdown

Please also note that the excess under the property policy is €5,000.

This amount is the responsibility of the department itself and cannot be met centrally


4.       Why is the excess on this policy so high?

The excess is not that high when considered in the context of the overall University-computer portfolio and values. Ultimately, the level of excess chosen is a balance between cover and the affordability of same.


5.       What happens if my loss is less than the excess on this policy?

If the loss is less than the policy excess of €5,000, the policy will not have any involvement in the reimbursement of your loss. Any such uninsured losses should be met by the School's budget.


6.       What cover applies if my laptop is lost/stolen/damaged whilst I am abroad on University business?

An element of cover may be available under the overseas business section of our travel policy. In this event, please refer to Buildings and Estates on ext 2134 or email 

7.       What should I do if I need to make a claim?

As above, please contact Buildings and Estates on ext 2134 or email  


Back to insurance homepage