Lunchtime seminar: A personal insight and assessment of the UN peacekeeping mission on the Golan Height
Friday 31 October from 2pm to 3 pm, Seminar Room, Irish Centre for Human Rights, NUI Galway
A personal insight and assessment of the UN peacekeeping mission on the Golan Height– Friday 31 October from 2pm to 3 pm, Seminar Room, Irish Centre for Human Rights, NUI Galway Sean Ridge is a member of the Defence Forces and he is currently working with the UN mission on the Golan Heights as Chief Joint Logistics and Operations Centre with UNDOF. He has previous UN experience in Lebanon, Iraq, Chad and Kosovo. He is a recent graduate of the LLM in Peace Operations, Humanitarian Law and Conflict.
Public lecture: International Action Against Torture
Prof. Sir Nigel Rodley, Chairperson of the Human Rights Committee, will be giving a public lecture on "International Action Against Torture" on 27th November, 3-5pm at the MRI Annex- MRA201.
- 21st October 2014. Aonghus Kelly. 'Prosecuting and Defending Human Rights in Iraq and the Balkans'
- 16th October 2014. Justice Theresa Doherty. ‘Developing International Criminal Law - the Sierra Leone Experience’
- 7th October 2014. Dan Sheerin. Civil Military relations and humanitarian actors in Central African Republic
- 16th September 2014. Dr Joel Quirk. ‘Competing Visions: Human Trafficking versus Forced Labour?’
- 14th May 2014. Karen Ingala-Smith“Counting Dead Women who have Insecure Immigration Status”
- 6th May 2014. Dr Aidan Hehir. 'Security Council Legitimacy after the Arab Spring'
- 8th April 2014. Michael Kearney. 'Anarchism and International Law'
- 31st March 2014. Karol Balfe. 'The Civil Society Response to Land Grabs'
- 28th March 2014. Dr. Shane Darcy. ‘Winding down, yet heating up; the judicial legacy of the international criminal tribunals’
- 19th March 2014.Brendan Tobin. 'Tanistry to Ubuntu: the relevance of customary law for the protection of human rights and self-determination in Ireland today'
- 11th February 2014. Adrien Claude-Zoller. 'Recent Trends in the Human Rights Council'
- 5 February 2014. Tiernan Brady and John Fisher. 'The Human Right to Same Sex Marriage'
- 16 January 2014. Ivan Fahy. 'Gender and its Diversity: Activism Through Modeling'
- 13 December 2013. Rupert Skilback. 'Strategic litigation and torture'
- 6 November 2013. Dr. William Schabas. 'The African Malaise with the International Criminal Court'
- 1 November 2013-Dr. Gearóid Ó Cuinn. 'Holy Land Tourism: Reform and the Role of International Law'
- 25 October 2013-Dr Michelle Farrell. 'What is torture? The Positive Law of An Incomprehensible Act'
- 15 October 2013-Dr Ray Murphy. 'Libya – Impressions of a State in Transition'
- 14 October 2013- Shawan Jabarin. ' Reflections of a Palestinian Human Rights Defender'
- 26 March 2013 - Dr. Evelyne Schmid, ' Social and Cultural Rights in International Criminal Law'.
- 13 March 2013 - Commandant Sean Ridge, 'United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) on the Israeli occupied Golan Heights'.
- 6 March 2013 - Dr. Kevin O'Sullivan, 'Action for Justice'? Rights, Needs and Humanitarian NGOs in Europe, 1968-85.
- 26 February 2013 - Mark McLoughlin, Director/Producer of Blood Rising, and Elia Escobeda Garcia, Human Rights Defender 'Screening of 'Blood Rising' followed by a Q&A session' (hosted with the support of Front Line Defenders).
- 25 February 2013 - Mr. Aonghus Kelly (LLM), 'Chasing Justice in Iraq and the Balkans'.
- 21 February 2013 - Niamh Reilly, 'Women's Reproductive Rights: Irish Context and International Human Rights Norms'
- 23 January 2013, 30 January 2013, 6 February 2013, 13 February 2013 & 20 February 2013 - Semahagn Gashe Abebe (PhD), 'Lunchtime Seminar Series in International Trade and Human Rights', Further information : on the course content, objective, learning outcomes and the speaker are available here.
- 8 February 2013 - Dr. Eliot Ross Albers, Executive Director, International Network of People who Use Drugs; Mr. Richard Elliott, Executive Director, Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network; Ms. Rebecca Schleifer, Advocacy Director, Health and Human Rights Division, Human Rights Watch; Mr Rick Lines, Executive Director, Harm Reduction International and Co-director, International Centre on Human Rights and Drug Policy (Moderator), 'Drug Users, HIV and Human Rights .
- 3 October 2012 - Michiel Pestman, speaking in relation to his work as defense counsel for Nuon Chea before the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia.
- 17 April 2012 - Valentina Azarov, "Re-formalising the Notion of Statehood in International Law: Palestinian Statehood and the Composites of International Legal Personality."
- 4 April 2012 - Mark Mullin, "Representing Refugees in Galway - the work of the Refugee Legal Service."
- 14 March 2012 – Michelle Farrell, “Bare Life’, ’Precarious Life’ and the Possibility of Human Rights.”
- 6 March 2012 - Tom O’Sullivan, “A Personal Account of the Challenges of Working for the UNHCR in South Sudan.”
- 29 February 2012 – Peter Fitzmaurice, “The Right to Non-refoulement from Conflict.”
- 21 February 2012 – Daragh Murray, “The Principle and Practice of Universal Jurisdiction: Lessons Learned from PCHR's Experience.”
- 3 February 2012 - Nick Danziger, "Humanity in War."
- 2 December 2011 - Alejandra Castillo, " Seeking Justice for Genocide in Guatemala.”
- 28 November - Fanny de Weck, " Protection against refoulement under the European Convention on Human Rights and the United Nations Convention against Torture: A comparison of the individual complaints procedures."
- 22 November - Dr Vinodh Jaichand, “Making the Case for a UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Land.”
- 21 November 2011 - Dr Giulia Pinzauti, " The Crime of Terrorism in International Law."
- 7 November 2011 - Eamon Mac Aodha, "The Irish Human Rights Commission - Tens Years On: Achievements and Challenges for the Future."
- 24 October 2011 - Dr Fiona de Londras, "Privatised Sovereign Performance, Counter-Terrorism and Endangered Rights."
- 19 October 2011 - Siobhán Cummiskey, "Equal Rights Litigation and Travellers."
- 6 April 2011 - Dr. Miša Zgonec-Rožej, “The UN asset-freezing regime for suspected terrorists.”
- 11 April 2011 - John Jones “The law of extradition and war crimes”
- 18 April 2011 - Kjell Anderson "The Problem of the Jew Next Door: Perpetrators and Victims of Genocide"
- 18 March 2011 - Geoffrey Harris; "Promoting 'our' values: is the EU up to the challenge?"
- 15 March 2011 - Juan Ramon Chinchilla & Rudy Hernandez; “Defending Human Rights in Honduras”
- 21 February 2011, Sir Michael Wood -- 'Human rights and humanitarian law in the practice of a Foreign Ministry lawyer'
- 10 February 2011 - Ambassador Daithi O'Ceallaigh - The Human Rights Work of a Diplomat
- 1 January 2011 - Dr. Philip Clark: Power, Politics and Justice in Post-Genocide Rwanda.
- 29 November 2010: Professor Michael D. Higgins 'Current human rights issues in Colombia'.
- 17 November 2010: Damon Barrett; “Colombia: Drug war myopia and the human rights lens”.
- 13 October 2010: Prof. William Schabas: 'International Law and Practice on Capital Punishment'.
- 31 March 2010, Ziya Meral, "Politics and Ethics of Acknowledgment of Historical Atrocities."
- 15 March 2010, Matt Pollard; "Detention by International Forces: Legal Frameworks from the Copenhagen Process"
- 12 March 2010, Bill Oberly; 'Exonerating the Wrongfully convicted through DNA Testing'
- 4 March 2010, Her Excellency Catherine Muigai Mwangi, Ambassador of Kenya to Ireland: ’ Does the Bill of Rights in the Draft Kenyan Constitution Reflect both African and International Best Practice?’
- 1 February 2010; Rick Lines, ' A vehicle for indirect penal reform’? Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights.'
- 29 January 2010, Colm O'Cuanachain, Policy Director, Amnesty International ’ Human Rights Education’