LightHOUSE has identified integrated activities spanning fundamental science, education, applied research, and technology transfer. The key objective of LightHOUSE is the discovery of new science and the development of core intellectual property, carefully managed by the University, in close collaboration with indigenous and multinational industries. The objectives of the centre are to:
- advance the reputation of NUI-Galway in optics and laser science, by promoting excellence in fundamental research and through international collaboration.
- underpin existing research activities, not only those underway at the NCLA/Applied Optics groups in NUI-Galway, but also in industrial R&D in Ireland.
- create new collaborations with other academic researchers, and with specific companies, in the field of application of lasers, optics, and imaging, to biotech and ICT.
- stimulate new spin-off companies, expecially in the Biotechnology and ICT sectors, based on proprietary advances in optics and laser technologies.
- provide skilled technical expertise and state-of-the-art facilities with regional, national and international relevance.