Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
NUI Galway Scholarships for Mature Entrants
No Application Required
NUI Galway has encouraged and facilitated the admission of mature students to its programmes over many years. The University has approved a Mature Student Scholarship Scheme to support and facilitate the entry of mature students to its Fulltime Undergraduate Degree programmes. The University will award 30 such scholarships to mature students entering a full-time undergraduate degree programme. The Scholarship will be awarded for the first year of the degree programme.
To be eligible for the award of the Scholarship the student must:
- Be a mature student, who is at least 23 years of age on the 1st of January of the year of entry
- Have been offered a place on a fulltime undergraduate degree programme at the University and have accepted that offer in accordance with the relevant procedures of the University and the Central Applications Office
Basis of Awards
- Fifteen scholarships will be awarded in order of merit and will be allocated as follows:
· 5 scholarships to students presenting a Mature Student Admissions Pathway (MSAP) score
· 2 scholarships to students entering Nursing and Midwifery Programmes presenting a Nursing Career Centre (NCC) score
· 5 scholarships to students entering an undergraduate degree programme on the basis of their Leaving Certificate results.
. 3 scholarships to students presenting a QQI/FETAC Award.
- Fifteen scholarships will be awarded in order of merit to students presenting NUI Galway Access or Foundation Programme results obtained in the year of entry. These will be allocated evenly across the relevant programme offerings.
The value of the Scholarship is €1,500 for the first year of the degree programme. Scholarship holders coming from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to apply to the University’s Financial Aid Fund for funding for subsequent years.
The Scholarship is tenable only at National University of Ireland, Galway in respect of the programme for which it is offered. It may not be transferred to any other programme. The Scholarship is only available in the year in which it is offered. It may not be deferred.
Condition of Award
To register as a student of the University on the programme in respect of which the Scholarship is being awarded by the due registration date. Failure to complete the registration requirement by the due date will render the student ineligible without further notice
If the holder withdraws from the programme for which she/he has registered or fails to continue throughout the session to meet the attendance and other requirements of the programme, she/he will forfeit the Scholarship and will be required to repay the whole or any part of the Scholarship as may be decided.
Uversity Scholarships - Higher Education Scholarships for Adult Learners
HIGHER EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ADULT LEARNERS-Opens 4th November 2019
Uversity is now accepting applications for its HIGHER EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ADULT LEARNERS that are intended to remove financial barriers so that adult learners can unlock their potential and realise their ambitions.
Uversity’s scholarships will provide multi-annual financial support for recipients to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree for the first time in participating third level institutions in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. Scholarships can be any subject area and will be tailored to recipients’ financial circumstances to cover some or all of the direct and indirect costs associated with higher education.
Successful candidates must:
- be 23 years and older by 1st January 2020
- be a citizen of an EEA member state or Switzerland AND resident in Ireland or Northern Ireland for 3 years or more by 1st January 2020
- be returning to higher education in 2020 after a break from education of 3 years or more or have recently completed a higher education progression / preparation course
- be admitted to a Bachelor’s Programme or have a deferred offer for the 2020 academic year. Preference will be given to candidates intending to study full-time
- be able to demonstrate:
- academic potential
- a clear motivation and ambition for returning to education
- a drive to succeed and a strong work ethic
- an ability to be transformed and transform others as a result of this scholarship and educational experience
- financial need
- non-EEA citizens resident in Ireland / Northern Ireland must have permanent leave to remain at time of application.
- applicants who currently possess or are enrolled on a Degree programme ARE NOT ELIGIBLE.
- applicants DO NOT need to have an offer at time of application but if selected for a scholarship they must receive an offer on a Bachelor’s programme in one of the participating institutions to receive their scholarship.
- For Republic of Ireland applicants, Uversity’s scholarships are currently considered reckonable income for means-tested social welfare benefits and SUSI grants. Offers will be subject to Uversity receiving an income disregard so that these benefits / grants are not adversely affected.
Eligible candidates must submit an application via Uversity’s online system by 1st March 2020 with the following information:
- biographical / contact details
- details of your education to date
- details of any employment / volunteering (if applicable) to date
- a motivation statement of maximum 500 words
- details of two referees
All applications will be reviewed by Uversity for eligibility and may be shortlisted for interview. Successful candidates will be notified by 1st July 2020.
Requests for further information / clarification should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Inclusive Centenaries Scholarship Scheme
In 2016, NUI Galway launched the Inclusive Centenaries Scholarship Scheme to mark Ireland’s Decade of Centenaries and celebrate the diversity of Irish society. This merit-based, national scheme aims to assist high-achieving, second-level school leavers from Ireland’s newest communities to pursue their third-level educational goals at NUI Galway, to realise their full potential, and to contribute to shaping Ireland of today and tomorrow.
Click on link to apply: http://www.nuigalway.ie/colleges-and-schools/arts-social-sciences-and-celtic-studies/icscholar/
EIL Travel Scholarships-Open to current Undergraduates
Closing date 7th December 2019
Would you like to volunteer abroad over the Summer months for 8 weeks in Latin America or Asia?
• Return flights & insurance
• Accommodation and meals during volunteer project
• Pre-departure information and support
• In-country airport transfers, orientation, local co-ordinator & support
Applications must be made through the Mature Students Officer where I can nominate 5 of you. Details are at:
If you came to college through an Access route you can apply as an Access Student. Details are here: https://www.eilireland.org/explore/which-one-is-for-me/over-18/access-student/#afs-nav-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-access-student-award Applications are also made through my office.
If you are with ALIVE and are volunteering currently you can apply under this category also: https://www.eilireland.org/explore/which-one-is-for-me/over-18/nui-galway-alive/
Applications are made through the ALIVE Office. email@example.com