Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Academic Staff and Researchers
|Staff Name||Type||Subject Area||Phone||Keywords|
Gaffney, Dr. Geraldine
|Academic||Obstetrics And Gynaecology||3680|
Morrison, Prof. John
|Academic||Obstetrics And Gynaecology||3537|
O’Leary, Dr Michael
|Academic||Obstetrics And Gynaecology|
Professor John J. Morrison MB BCh, BSc. DCH, FRCOG, FRCPI, MD
Chairman and Head of Department
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
Professor Morrison has been in post as Professor of Obstetrics & Gynaecology at National University of Ireland, Galway/ Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist at Galway University Hospital since 1997. Before joining the National University of Ireland, Galway he worked at University College London as a Lecturer in Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Senior Registrar in Obstetrics & Gynaecology. He completed RCOG sub-specialty training in Feto-Maternal Medicine at University College London Hospitals. Before that he was a clinical Registrar and Research Fellow at University of Cambridge Clinical School, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge. He is a Consultant Obstetrician Gynaecologist with Western Health board at Galway University Hospital and provides a sub-specialty clinical service in Feto-Maternal Medicine.
His main research areas of interest are:
Pre-natal diagnosis and high-risk obstetrics
Dr. Geraldine Gaffney MD, MRCOG, Senior Lecturer
Dr. Gaffney qualified at Trinity College Dublin. She trained in Obstetrics & Gynaecology in Dublin, London and Oxford. She completed RCOG sub-specialty training in Feto-Maternal medicine. She has been a member of the department in Galway since 1998
Her main research areas of interest are:
Maternal disease in pregnancy
Dr. Michael O'Leary, Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist/Clinical Lecturer
Dr. O’Leary graduated from UCD in 1998. He trained in general Obstetrics and
Gynaecology in Dublin and Galway. He underwent subspecialty training as a
Gynae-Oncologist in Christchurch (NZ), Sydney and Brisbane and obtained the
Diploma in Gynaecological Oncology from RANZCOG in 2007. He has been a
Consultant in Galway since January 2009. His areas of interest are Colposcopy
and the treatment of women’s cancers.
Professor Denis Crankshaw, Emeritus Professor at McMaster University, Canada Professor Crankshaw spent a sabatical year doing Myometrial research at the Department July 2009 - July 2010.
He returned to continue with this research in the summers of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Dr. Naveed A. Khawaja, Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
- Dr. Marie-Christine de Tavernier, Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
- Dr. Naser Giuma, Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
- Dr. Mohammed, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
- Dr. Maebh Ní Bhuinneann, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
- Dr. Ulrich Bartels, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
- Dr. Hilary Ikele, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
- Dr. Heather Langan, Sligo General Hospital, The Mall, Sligo
- Dr. Nirmila Kondaveeti, Sligo General Hospital, The Mall, Sligo
- Dr. Vimla Sharma, Sligo General Hospital, The Mall, Sligo
- Dr. Matthew McKeever, Letterkenny General Hospital, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Dr. Chris King, Letterkenny General Hospital, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Dr. Edward Aboud, Letterkenny General Hospital, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Dr. Siobhan Carruthers (Galway) email@example.com
- Dr. Roger Derham (Galway) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Mehret Berhe (Sligo Academy) email@example.com
- Dr. Stephen Sludds (Letterkenny Academy) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Fiona Kyne (Castlebar Academy) email@example.com
- Dr. Evelyn Burke (Ballinasloe Academy) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Nicholas Allen
- Dr. Donal Sexton
- Dr. Mark Hehir
- Mr. Michael O'Sullivan
- Ms. Breda Kelleher
Ext: 3537 External: +353 91 493537 [Tuesday, Thursday, Friday mornings]
Please note - the contact number for all hospital queries is 091 544717