Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Ballinasloe Medical Academy
Welcome to Ballinasloe Medical Academy
Welcome to Ballinasloe, a medium sized market town on the M6 motor way (Junction 15) and the main Galway to Dublin rail line and national bus route. Ballinasloe is 1 hour due east from Galway University Hospital (GUH), 15 minutes from Athlone and 1.5 hours from Dublin.
Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe is part of the Saolta University Health Care Group of hospitals in the West and North-West of Ireland providing accident and emergency, acute medical, surgical, obstetrics, gynecology and paediatric services. The Hospital serves a wide catchment area including East Galway, Co. Westmeath, North Tipperary, Roscommon, Co. Offaly, and Longford. There are 209 beds comprised of 12 day care and 197 inpatient beds. To find our location please click here.
What does our Academy offer?
The Ballinasloe Medical Academy is unique in that it is facilitates students from two medical schools, NUI Galway (years 3.2 to 5.2) and the University of Limerick (UL) graduate entry programme (years 3 and 4). The Academy is based in a 2 storey building to the front of the hospital and is shared with the ambulance and paramedic teams. UL are based on the top floor and NUI Galway the ground floor. Both floors have large rooms for videoconferencing which double as study spaces and smaller tutorial rooms (2 UL, 2 NUIG) with space for academic secretaries (2 rooms) and 1 tutor room.
Students will benefit from a large reading room and the hospital library which are relocating to the building shortly. This academic year there are 47 UL and NUI Galway students on campus in Portiuncula Hospital which favours a low student to patient ratio. In addition, eight new consultants were appointed recently increasing the student to consultant ratio and adding new sub specialities to the existing teams.
Academy Administrator: Ms Mairead Molloy (Wednesdays (8.30am to 5.30pm)
Direct Line: 090 96-24785
Year 1 & Year 2 Medical Programme Administrator
School of Medicine – Clinical Science Institute, Room 2017 Top Floor, School of Medicine, NUI Galway
Mornings only Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (8.30am to 1.30pm)
Direct Line: 091-495909 College Extension: 5909
Academy Dean: Dr Paraic Curran
Tel: through the main switch board at 0900 648200 .
For a list of rental auctionneers, guesthouses and hotels in the area (all within a 10-15 minute walk of the Academy/hospital) please click on the following link: List of Accommodation In Ballinasloe
- Ballinasloe is the spiritual home of Supermacs with 4 Takeaways accessible within a 2 mile radius
- Karibas' Restaurant and Coffee House, 7 Society Street, Ballinasloe (http://karibas.ie/)
- Fusion Restaurant and Takeaway, Society street, Ballinasloe (Chinese, Asian, European, Thai)
- Shearwater Hotel ( Canal Bar Bistro, Marina Coffee House), Canal road, Ballinasloe
- Noor Tandoori (Indain, Asian, Pakistani cusine), 36 Society Street, (090) 9648111
- Taxis - for a list of taxis in Ballinasloe please click here
- Bus Eireann - Bus Eireann offers regular daily services to and from Ballinasloe. For timetable details please click here
- City Link - City Link also offers regular daily services to and from Ballinasloe. For timetable details please click here
- Iarnród Éireann - For a list of rail services to and from Ballinasloe please click here
Sports & Leisure
There are a number of Sport & Leisure facilities, all within 2km of Ballinasloe Medical Academy:-
- Two gyms with a 20 meter swimming pools each in the Shear Water Hotel & in Coral Leisure Ballinasloe:-
- 400 meter running track directly across from the academy
- Ballinasloe soccer club with astro turf for booked soccer matches
- Local running club - please see details on their facebook page
- Ballinasloe cycling club: further details are available on their facebook page
- Garbally College for jogging and walks (10 minutes form Academy)
- Portumna Forest Park (30 minutes away) for walks, cycling etc
Portiuncula Hospital Pastoral care: Tel: 090 9648275
Details of the university's counselling service are available here
There is a Prayer room within the Academy on the 2nd Floor.
NUI Galway's Medical Society:
NUI Galway's MedSoc website is available here
|Dr Paraic Curran||
Dean of Ballinasloe Medical Academy
|Dr Lucy Hurley||
Lecturer for Paediatrics
|Dr Aileen Faherty||Lecturer for Primary Care|
|Dr Eoin O Suilleabhain||Lecturer for Surgery|
|Dr Kathleen Cronin||Lecturer for Medicine|
|Dr Evelyn Burke||Lecturer for Obstetrics & Gynaecology|
Tel: 090 96-24785 - Wednesday (8.30am - 5.30pm)