Dr Conn Holohan
Dr. Conn Holohan is Assistant Director of Research and Development at the Huston School of Film & Digital Media. He teaches on a number of postgraduate programmes offered by the Huston School.
Telephone:00 353 (0)91 495686
Address: ‘Bubble', Huston School of Film & Digital Media
Office Hours: Wednesday 12-1 & Thursday 2-3
MA in Film Studies
- Forms of Film
Critical Theory I & II
MA in Public Advocacy and Activism
- Politics and Film
- Research Methods
MA in Digital Media
Film in the Digital Age
Dr Holohan's research interests include Irish and Spanish Cinema, migrant cinema, onscreen sexuality and short films. His current research explores utopian spaces in European film, focusing particularly on road movies.
- Cinema on the Periphery: Contemporary Irish and Spanish Film (Irish Academic Press, 2009)
- ‘Aesthetics of Intimacy in the Short Film' Short Film Studies, 1 (Intellect, forthcoming 2010)
- ‘Dreams of Home: Migrant Spaces and Narrative Desire in Felicia's Journey', Irish Studies Review, 19,1 (Routledge, forthcoming 2011)
- ‘Wrong Turns: radical spaces in the road movies of Tony Gatlif', Transnational Cinemas, 1.3 (Intellect, forthcoming 2011)
Chapters in Books
- ‘Queering the Green?: the limitations of sexuality as metaphor in contemporary Irish cinema' in Estelle Epinoux (ed.) Cinemas of Ireland (Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2009)
- ‘Trauma, subjectivity and narrative in Breakfast on Pluto' in Martin McLoone and Kevin Rockett (eds.) Irish Films, Global Cinema (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007)
- ‘Interview with Lenny Abrahamson, Estudios Irlandeses: Journal of Irish Studies, Issue 3, (2007)
- ‘The Short Film and Irish Cinema', Estudios Irlandeses: Journal of Irish Studies, Issue 4, (2008):
‘Early Irish Cinema by Denis Condon - Review', Wasafiri, 62 (Summer 2010)
Recent Conference Papers
- ‘Urban utopias in Irish Cinema', presented at the IASIL conference, NUI Maynooth, 26-29 July 2010.
- ‘Non-place like home: hitting the road in the former Soviet Union' presented at the European Cinema Research Forum, University of Exeter, 2-4 July 2010
- ‘Wrong turns and dead ends: radical spaces in the migrant films of Tony Gatlif and Fatih Akin', presented at the Trinity Postgraduate Seminar, 18 November 2009
- ‘Utopian Spaces in Migrant Narratives', presented at the Screening the Irish in Britain conference, Trinity College, Dublin, 26 September 2009.
- ‘Urban Migrants and Utopian Spaces in Recent Irish Cinema', presented at the American Conference for Irish Studies, NUI Galway, 10-13 June 2009.
‘The politics of sexual identity in contemporary Irish cinema', presented at the "Contemporary Irish Cinema: Assessment and Perspectives" conference, Faculté des lettres et des sciences humaines, Limoges, France, 22-23 November 2007.
Dr. Holohan has contributed to several arts shows on national radio, including The Arts Show on RTE Radio 1 and Culture Shock on Newstalk.
Reviews Editor for the Journal of European Popular Culture.