Campus Visitors - External Examiners

On 13 March 2013, Irish Revenue wrote to the university sector (including National University of Ireland, Galway) outlining its responsibilities in relation to: 

  1. the payment of fees (where relevant) to campus visitors and
  2. the reimbursement of travel and subsistence expenses to campus visitors including external examiners (EEs), quality assurance reviewers (QARs) and interview board members (IBMs) 

The University is implementing this guidance by requiring campus visitors to complete revised campus-visitor forms in full from 1st December 2014. The circular below should be read in conjunction with the completion and submission of forms.

Campus Visitor Circular‌ 

Tax Resident External Examiners

Tax-resident external examiner campus visitors will be paid by the Payroll Office.  Please see campus visitor circular for further details on statutory deductions on your payments.

Step 1: Do you have a Payroll Id Number

If you do have a Payroll Id Number at NUI Galway (If you were previously paid by the Payroll Office) then please skip to Step 2

If you do not have a Payroll Id Number you must first apply for one in order to submit a claim for fees and expenses.

The following form must first be completed and emailed to prior to submitting your claim for fees and expenses.

New Hourly Paid Employee Set Up Form

 Foirm um Shocrú Conartha d’Fhostaithe a Íoctar de réir na hUaire

 Once we have a Payroll ID number for the employee we will reply to the email with this information which must be entered onto the claim form.


Step 2: External Examiners Claim Form

The following claim form must be completed.  

Tax Resident External & PhD Examiner Form

Foirm an Scrúdaitheora Sheachtraigh/PhD

Please email the completed form along with scanned copies of receipts to

If you do not have access to a scanner, please post the original receipts to Examinations Office, Áras Uí Chathail, NUI Galway, Galway, Ireland.


Non Resident External Examiner

External examiners not resident in Ireland (for taxation purposes) will be paid by the Accounts Payable Office.