Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a rang of key areas of expertise.
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at NUI Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at NUI Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
The Placement Team interacts with business and industry to promote the NUI Galway Professional Experience Programme (PEP).
PEP is an integral module of a number of NUI Galway undergraduate academic programmes. This offers participating students an opportunity to avail of work experience relevant to their programme of study.
Students are given an opportunity to develop skills relevant in the workplace and enhance their employability and job prospects.
NUI Galway Placement Courses and Dates
College of Engineering & Informatics
- BE Biomedical Engineering (January-August)
- BE Mechanical Engineering (January-August)
- BE Energy Systems Engineering (January-August)
with Civil elective
with Mechanical elective
with Electrical elective
- BE Electrical & Electronic Engineering (January-August)
- BE Electronic & Computer Engineering (January-August)
- BSc Computer Science & Information Technology (January-August)
- BE Civil Engineering (April-August)
- BSc Project & Construction Management (April-August)
College of Science
- BSc Health & Safety Systems (June-December)
- BSc Biopharmaceutical Chemistry (June-December)
College of Business, Public Policy & Law
- BSc Business Information Systems (January-August)
- B. Comm (International Experience) (September-Dec.)
- B. Comm (Accounting) (January-August)
T: 091 493646
Staff of the Placement Office assist Undergraduate Students to acquire their Professional Experience Programme (PEP).
PEP gives you an opportunity to gain relevant work experience as part of your course of study. Undergraduate engineering and information technology students are required to complete their placement in an industrial or business environment.
This work-based learning programme is obligatory and failure to complete PEP satisfactorily may delay your graduation. In the event that no external placement is available, PEP students will be given projects on campus by their Department.
Placement Application - read the Step-by-Step guide PEP to find out how placement process and system works.
Click here to find out who worked previously in your target organisation. (NUI Galway campus access only)
Useful link for students going overseas http://www.justlanded.com/
EU Scholarship Portal http://www.scholarshipportal.eu/
T: 091 493646
What are the benefits to your company?
- Raise your organisation's profile
- Create future employee talent pipeline
- Give feedback and influence course curricula
Interested in supporting a PEP student?
- Forward a job specification, outlining the role and any special requirements relevant to the position, to email@example.com
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive access the Placement Application System
- We operate a first-come-first-served approach, once you contact us we will communicate with students and academic staff on your behalf
- Shortlist candidates for interview
- Placement Officer contacts students and organises interviews
- Company updates email@example.com with selected candidate/s. Note it is recommended to give your candidate/s selection on the day of interview to ensure you get the candidate of your choice.
- Placement is offered to the student and the company forwards a letter of offer or a company contract directly to the student
- Student/s commence their PEP on an agreed date
- Identify a suitable project or work area for the student within the company
- Provide supervision and financial support for the duration of the PEP
- Facilitate visit from PEP students’ Academic Supervisor/Placement Officer
- Complete an Assessment Report on behalf of each student. Endorse student’s Report/Presentation following completion of the PEP
NUI Galway’s commitment
- Provide curriculum vitae and organise interviews
- Monitor the student’s progress in liaison with the company
- Encourage feedback from the participating company
Senior Placement Officer
Area of support: Computer Science & Information Technology, Electronic & Computer Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Area of support: Primarily responsible for the placement of students from
|Area of support: Employer engagement strategy, job fair management, graduate employers. Find out more...|
Administrative Assistant (Job-share)
|Area of support: Professional Experience Programme Placement enquiries. Find out more...|
The calibre of the applicants and the shortlisted interview panel from NUI Galway, as always, was exceptionally strong this year which bodes well for the future of the technology sector in Ireland and your future career.
Alan Fahey, SAP Ireland
"We have an excellent relationship with NUI Galway and recruit top class engineering software graduates into our Global R&D centre in Galway each year. Cisco also has a significant Intern placement program, sponsor final year and masters projects with NUIG and work closely on jointly funded research projects with DERI (The Digital Enterprise Research Institute)"
Nathan Shaughnessy Cisco Systems Ltd
"OnePageCRM gives students the chance to put into practice the skills and expertise they've learned in college. We generally recruit students from IT / Electronic / Business related fields and feel the level of student participation taken to real life scenario's really is exceptionally high. They are driven, self-motivated with a hunger to succeed. These characteristics are hugely important especially in small-medium sized industries as they're exposed to all aspects of the business. They really do gain real life experience which is essential to kick starting their careers in their chosen field."
Carmel Granahan OnePageCRM