Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
The Undergraduate Course
Undergraduate Course Outline
Our Undergraduate Course
Our mission statement is: "To develop caring, patient-centric, highly skilled honours graduates who are knowledgeable, innovative, autonomous and competent practitioners who apply a scientific and evidence-based approach to podiatric medicine.”
Programme Aims & Objectives
The B.Sc. (Hons.) Podiatric Medicine programme aims to:
- Provide a comprehensive, excellent, academic and clinical teaching programme with integration of theory into the clinical practice setting.
- To equip students with the necessary knowledge and clinical skills to meet national and international standards
- Provide a range of clinical placement opportunities within the public and private sectors; offering over 1000 hours of high quality clinical placements.
- Provide a student-centred supportive environment in which the students’ knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes are developed.
- Prepare students to anticipate, adapt, influence and respond to future changes in service delivery and encourage them to become future educators and leaders of the profession
- Produce graduates who are reflective practitioners and have a strong ethos for continuous professional development and a firm commitment to life long learning.
The B.Sc. (Hons.) Podiatric Medicine programme is designed to educate and train those who wish to pursue a professional career in podiatry, as a health care professional, who specialises in the management of disease and disorder of the lower limb and foot. The Discipline is committed to providing a comprehensive education for podiatrists and the curriculum is based on best available evidence in relation to both theory and practice.
The programme is outlined below:
Podiatric Medicine 1
Redefining Health & Wellbeing
Lower Limb Kinematics
Human Body Structure
Human Body Function
Gross Anatomy of the Lower Limb
Podiatric Medicine 2
Lower Extremity Wounds
Functional Anatomy & Biomechanics
Introduction to Pharmacology
Podiatric Medicine 3
Medicine & Surgery
Pharmacology in Health & Disease
Research Methods & Design
Podiatric Sports Medicine
Podiatric Medicine 4
Skills for Practice
Working with Vulnerable Adults
The High Risk Limb
A Student Perspective of the BSc in Podiatry at NUI Galway:
My name is Jack Tobin and I am a second year Podiatry student in NUI Galway. I chose Podiatry because I have always been interested in pursuing a medical profession and felt that the course would suit me and my personality.