Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Your NUIG Student ID Card will be your official identification card for the duration of your course at NUI Galway. The card that will be issued to you in September is expected to see you through your course.
18-19 Student ID Card Collection Dates
- 1st Year undergraduate are distributed during Orientation, click here for schedule
- Adult Education ID cards are distributed at Orientation / Opening Lectures
- 1st Year Postgraduate ID cards are available at the Reghelp desks from 20th August*
* with the exception of week beginning 3rd September - as this is dedicated to 1st Year Undergraduate students ONLY
- International Student ID cards ( 1OA1 / 1EM1) are distributed at International / Visiting Student Orientation.
- Any students regsitering late, can collect their ID card at the Student Information Desk, Ground Floor, Áras Ui Cháthail. Email a photo to email@example.com and note your ID number in the subject of the email.
What is the student ID Card for?
Your Student ID card will serve as your official identification for all college related matters, while also giving you access to many of the facilities/services across the campus. You may need your Student ID when:
- requesting exam result transcripts from the Student Information Desk.
- presenting to sit a university exam. (Failure to show your Student Identity Card will result in a €20 fine)
- getting any forms or certification stamped in the Studetne Information Desk.
- accessing and borrowing books from the library.
- accessing certain buildings and rooms.
- availing of student services (Health Centre)
- signing up for clubs and societies.
Every student is issued with a Student Identity Card at Registration which he/she must carry while on University campus.
For information on using your Student ID Card for travel discounts, please see link to SU Travel Information.
Upon receipt of your card, you (as a student) will:
- Sign and accept responsibility for your NUI Galway student card.
- Ensure that your NUI Galway student card is retained solely for
your own use.
- Always carry your NUI Galway student card while on the NUI Galway campus.
- Students are required to show their Student Identity Card at all examinations (View the examinations guidelines)
- Ensure that the photograph on your NUI Galway student card is an acceptable form of identification.
- Present your NUI Galway student card whenever requested to do so by a member of NUI Galway staff. A member of staff is also entitled to retain the card if they feel it necessary.
- Ensure that if you withdraw from the University during the course of an academic year, on either a permanent or temporary basis, you return your NUI Galway student card to the Student Information Desk.
- Be aware that if your NUI Galway student card is lost or stolen, you are obliged to inform the University immediately, so that the appropriate precautions can be taken to ensure that your card is not used without your consent.
How to protect your card..
As your Student Identity Card is expected to last the duration of your course at NUI Galway, it is essential that you protect your card from damage or misuse.
To ensure the durability and validity of your NUIG Student Identity Card:
- Do not bend the card. Card readers cannot read bent or cracked cards reliably.
- Do not wash, scratch or write on your card.
- Do not use your card for any purpose it was not designed for.
- Avoid exposing the card to excessive heat.
- Do not punch a hole in your card, this could damage your card and result in a replacement card charge.
- Keep away from magnets and computers to avoid magnetic damage.
- Do not tamper with the information or picture printed on the card.
- Keep the surface of the smart chip clean and free from any marks or scratches.
To prevent the identity-theft or the misuse of your card it is essential that you:
- Keep it in a safe carrying case (such as a wallet).
- Do not lend it out to others. You are responsible for your card.
- Lost or stolen cards must be reported immediately to the Student Information Desk to protect yourself against unauthorized use. Please refer to lost or stolen cards for more information.
Your NUIG Student Identity Card is your most important piece of identification while at NUI Galway so treat it carefully!!
What if I lose my Student Card?
It is essential that you report a lost or stolen student card immediately to the Student Information Desk.
A replacement card can then be issued to you at a cost of €20.
(Note: students will receive a replacement student card free of charge in cases of a reported crime e.g. assault, burglary.)
If your ID card has been stolen you must produce a copy of the Garda crime report. The report must contain theinvestigating Garda name, Garda Pulse Incident Number and be signed by the Superintendent in charge).
Students should be aware that the false reporting of a crime is a serious offence
Failure to notify the University places you at risk of serious allegations of collusion in the fraudulent use of your NUI Galway student card.
Please return found cards to the Student Information Desk.