The aim of this programme is to develop novel therapeutic approaches for the treatment of atherosclerotic vascular diseases.
The major areas of research are in the use of mesenchymal stem cells and endothelial progenitor cells for cardiac and vascular repair, the development of medical devices for stem cell administration, the use of biomaterials for stem cell delivery in cardiovascular disease and understanding the pathogenesis of diabetic vascular disease.
The cardiovascular work programme has close interactions with the other strands of REMEDI including, stem cell biology, gene therapy, biomaterials science, immunology and advanced stem cell manufacturing.
The applications of this research include:
- Improved medical devices for treatment of occlusive arterial disease;
- Understanding host stem cell interaction in the myocardium;
- Development of novel systems for stimulating growth of new blood vessels;
- Novel therapeutic approaches to enhancing heart tissue viability following damage;
- An understanding of the pathogenesis of diabetic vascular disease to identify new therapies.