Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Latest update: 2.10.2018
- The schedule of Agallamh na Seanórach monthly coffee mornings from September to December 2018 was posted out to members in August and is available on our News & Events page, where you can also find the modified parking arrangement for these dates.
The next gathering will be from 10.30-11.30, on Tuesday 9 October in the Alexander Anderson Boardroom. It will be followed at 11.40 by a guided tour of the O'Donoghue Centre for Theatre, Drama and Performance.
- 24-25 October 2018: a 2-day (1 night) tour to the Boyne Valley area, visiting Newgrange, Tara, the site of the Battle of the Boyne, Slane Castle, Belvedere House and Gardens, and Glasson. For the itinerary, please click here: Boyne Valley itinerary. Booking closed on 14 September.
- 26 April-2 May 2019. Our 7-day, 6-night trip to central Spain, taking in Salamanca, Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, La Granja, and El Escorial, is now open for booking. Please click the following links for details: Spain itinerary 2019; Spain Booking Form; JGT Terms and Conditions. These documents were posted on 1 October to those members for whom we have addresses. Booking will close on 29 October.
- The Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development, NUI, Galway, offers Short Courses Series, for which fee concessions are available to NUI Galway staff, whether current or retired. Click here for details.
- Remember that parking permits need to be renewed in late August/early September. For details of how to pay online see Parking Permits information. If you do not currently have a parking permit you should contact the Management Services Office for authorization to have one. You can download the appropriate form here: Retired Staff Service Request Form.
- Two announcements from AgeAction:
Get Connected and learn how to navigate the Internet and your device (classes for older learners)
Do you have basic skills you want to refresh or are you a complete beginner and apprehensive about technology? Starting again in September, Age Action will run classes for older learners (aged 55+) who have little or no experience with using the Internet (laptops/iPads/iPhones/Tablets/Smartphones all welcome OR if you have no device we can provide one). Classes are run in Age Action (3, Francis Street), the ILAS centre in NUIG and Galway City Library on different days and times. Participants are taught on an individual (1:1) basis by trained volunteer tutors. To book a place on our waiting list, call Age Action on 091 527831. Courses run for 5 weeks (2 hours per week) and there is no fee. NOTE: One class cycle per person, so If you have already taken a class cycle with Age Action since January 2017 you are not eligible to apply.
Volunteer Tutors needed in Galway
Resuming in September, Age Action will run beginner/improvercomputer/Internet classes for older learners (55+) who have little or no experience or who are apprehensive about their device and technology in general. The aim of the programme is to make the learners comfortable using laptops/tablets/smartphones and help them navigate the Internet to perform basic tasks.
Tutoring is done on a 1:1 basis. Strong basic computer/tablet/smartphone skills and fluent English needed but patience and good humour just as important! Training provided. Classes are currently run in Age Action (3, Francis Street), the ILAS centre in NUIG, Galway City Library on different days and times. For more information please contact Helen on 087 1956047 or Email:email@example.com
- Three members of retired staff have recently published books:
John Waddell, Myth and Materiality (Oxford: Oxbow Books, 2018)
Noel Wilkins, Humble Works for Humble People: A History of the Fishery Piers of County Galway and North Clare, 1800–1922 (Irish Academic Press, 2017)
Brian Arkins, Death and Marriage: Greek and Roman Drama (Dublin: Carysfort Press, 2017)
For more information on publications by retired staff see Members' achievements.
- Ireland Illustrated, 1680-1860, a database of images and text from two centuries of travel accounts, went online on Tuesday 15 May 2018. The project has been directed by RSA member Jane Conroy.
- Parking permits expire at the end of August each year. You can update yours online by following the steps outlined at http://www.nuigalway.ie/parking/parking-permits-info/. Retired staff may be asked to complete a Service Request Form: see 'Services & Facilities: Services Request' for details. Further information can be obtained from the Parking division of the Buildings Office and from the Management Services Office.
The current Park and Ride timetable can be downloaded here.
- If you are not currently receiving email correspondence relating to the Retired Staff Association, please send your email address to Marie Cunningham, Management Service Office; telephone: (091) 493632; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. This is important as it greatly facilitates communication with NUI Galway Retired Staff Association members. There are just two postal mailings each year, with other important information being sent by email and announced on this site.