[ Metal in Early Historic Times ] [ Len the Smith ] [ 18th Century Mining in Killarney ] [ Rudolf Raspe ] [ Weaver Map ] [ Mining At Muckross ] [ An Industrial Venture ] [ Thomas Weaver ] [ The Mining Companies ] [ Mines in Killarney ]
The most important phase of industrial mining at Ross
Island began with the arrival of Colonel Robert Hall to this area in the
early 1800s. With 13 partners, he established the Ross Island Company and
obtained a 31 year mining lease from Lord Kenmare for a one eight royalty
of ore raised. Mining commenced in 1804, employing 150 miners and
labourers. The company initially worked the Blue Hole, discovering a rich
bed of lead and copper '..which was raised with great facility, and
afforded for a time considerable profit'. Mining continued until 1810,
raising some 3200 tons of rich copper ore, worth an estimated £80,000.
Unfortunately, this involved considerable expense, mainly due to problems
of lake flooding, leading to an outlay of around £50,000 between 1804-8.
Bank Note Ross Island
This first phase of mining ended around 1810 due to
financial problems, however the Ross Island Company continued operations
for another four years. In 1811, Lord Kenmare granted a new lease to the
mine captain William White. He tried to develop the mine over the
following two years before finally abandoning it in 1814. The Ross Island
Company also mined some 86 tons of copper ore on nearby Crow Island
'A Gentleman from Cornwall'