[ Ross Island ] [ In Search Of the Early Miners ] [ Links ]
Island Mine,showing dam embankment
'Besides the beauty which Nature has so bountifully scattered over
the surfaces of this island, she has buried immense treasures in its
bosom. Here lead and copper are to be had in great abundance...' (G.N.
Ross Island, on the eastern side of Lough Leane, saw the mining of
copper and other metals at different times over the past four thousand
years. Copper mining began here at the dawn of the Bronze Age (c.2400-1800
BC) when metal was first used in Ireland. The discovery of Beaker
pottery links this mine to the very beginnings of Irish metallurgy in
the final Neolithic period. Mining resumed here in the early Christian
era around the eight century AD, and subsequently at different times
during the 18th and 19th centuries. This culminated in large-scale
industrial operations between 1804-1829 when some 5000 tons of copper
ore were sold to smelters in England.
Blue Hole Mine,1829
The Blue hole Mine Today
In all periods at Ross Island mining focused on a copper-rich horizon
within the local limestone geology. This rich mineral deposit is confined
to a small part of the southern coastline where copper minerals streak the
blue limestone rocks. This mineralisation extends to a maximum depth of
only 13-16m along the lake shore and could be mined with relative ease,
water levels permitting.
The mine is located on a bed of copper-rich limestone (the Western
Mine), principally containing the yellow mineral chalcopyrite (CuFeS2)
and the grey tennantite ore (Cu12As4S13).
This bedded deposit is bordered on the eastern side by a vein-type
structure (the Blue Hole) containing a rich deposit of copper, lead and
zinc ore. The mineralisation at Ross Island also has a significant silver
content which may have been extracted in ancient times.