Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a rang of key areas of expertise.
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at NUI Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at NUI Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
SportsSport is central to life at NUI Galway and our excellent facilities offer you a chance to balance your academic study with a wide range of sporting activities.
University sports complex
NUI Galway's new 6,500 sq ft sports complex on the University campus is ideally located for all students as a meeting point for sports activity.
The complex includes:
- A six-lane, 25 metre swimming pool, with a moveable floor (international competition standard)
- Dedicated squash and racquetball courts
- A National League basketball arena and sports hall with bleacher seating for over 600 spectators
- A 100-piece cardiovascular gym with 35 pieces of resistance equipment
- A dedicated elite training gym
- Two fitness studios, suitable for aerobic training
- A competition-style climbing wall
- Saunas and a steam room
The University's outdoor sports facilities can be found in Dangan, on the north of the campus. They include:
- Ten natural grass playing pitches
- A synthetic grass pitch, suitable for a wide range of sports including hockey, soccer and Gaelic games
- An eight-lane, international standard track, with jumping and throwing facilities, suitable for athletics, cross-country and general training.
There are over 50 sports clubs within the University, offering students the chance to keep fit and healthy, while enjoying a great social outlet.
Club Bookings: To book any sports facilities please fill out this form and email to email@example.com
External Bookings (Sports Facilities): If you are a non NUI Galway group and would like to book sports facilities please contact(to be updated)
Field Sports Club
Off Campus Clubs
Martial Arts Clubs
Water Sports Clubs
We offer Elite Sports Scholarships to athletes of outstanding calibre who register as students of NUI Galway. Our programmes focus on developing the athlete so that they can achieve sporting success, as well as academic and personal development during and after their time in university.
The scheme includes sports such as basketball, badminton, ladies' and men's soccer, ladies' and men's rugby, ladies' and men's golf, martial arts, swimming and surfing. ;
As well as the scholarship, you will receive specialist sports supports including physiotherapy, treatment of injury, fitness training, coaching and travel to national and international competitions.
The scholarship is available for the duration of a course of study and all applicants must satisfy the academic requirements for entry to NUI Galway.
NUI Galway introduced “Performance Points” Sports Scholarship in 2014
This new Sports Scholarship rewards athletes who are performing at the highest levels of their sport while also achieving academically “performance points” that can be added to their CAO points for entry to NUI Galway.
You can apply for an NUI Galway Sports Scholarship online http://www.sports.nuigalway.ie/scholarships_info.html
The closing date for receipt of applications for the Performance Points Scholarship is 31st March.
The closing date for receipt of applications for Elite Sports Scholarship is the 31st July. No applications will be accepted after this date.
If you would like to learn more about Sports Scholarships you can contact the Sports Development Officer, Kathy Hynes on P: 091 493475 or E: kathy.hynesnuigalway.ie
Sports in Galway
NUI Galway is one of the largest sporting third level institutions in Ireland and we welcome the fact that sport forms an integral part of the social and educational lives of the campus community. This echoes the strong sporting culture that has always existed in Galway and which is such an integral part of both city and county life.
NUI Galway has over:
- 17,000 students.
- 2,000 international students from 92 countries.
- 2,400 staff members.
- 120 links with universities across the globe.
- 90,000 alumni in 107 countries.
- 165 years experience of providing university education.
NUI Galway is:
- Ireland's top University for student retention - Sunday Times 2011.
- Irelands's top University for graduate employability with 96% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.
- the largest and oldest university in the west of Ireland.
NUI Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular literature, Theatre and Irish Studies
NUI Galway was awarded a QS Five Stars Rating in 2012