Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Volunteering is an excellent way to:
- Meet new people
- Be part of community
- Expand on your learning & skills
- To have fun
ALIVE is NUI Galway's Student Volunteering Programme
ALIVE is dedicated to supporting students to engage in positive volunteering experiences. We help match student volunteers to the right roles, train student volunteers to gain the most from their experience, support and recognise student volunteers.
ALIVE connects students to volunteering projects:
- off campus: charities, schools, hospitals, non-profit groups and communities
- on campus: peer to peer mentoring, health programmes, social enterprises
Through a wide range of volunteer roles, that fit into student schedules and life, ALIVE assists students who want to develop tangible and transferable skills while they are gaining practical volunteering experience.
Visit the ALIVE website to create your volunteer profile, learn about volunteering and sign up to volunteer. Log your volunteer hours and learning experiences to earn recognition.
Twice a year both campus based and local organisations exhibit in Aras na Mac Leinn at the Volunteering Fair to connect with students in order to:
- Showcase volunteer opportunities
- Demonstrate the work and career opportunities with the non-profit sector
- Highlight community engagement and active citizenship
The President's Award for Student Volunteers
Volunteering is celebrated at NUI Galway and we annually come together as a community to award volunteers and celebrate student engagement.
Learn more about the President's Award for Student Volunteers
Where can you volunteer?
There is a wide range of volunteering opportunities available for NUI Galway students including,
- Volunteering on campus
- Volunteering off campus
Volunteering on campus
There are a number of ways you can volunteer on campus, including:
- Becoming a Student Connect Mentor
- Joining a Society or Club
- Getting involved in Flirt FM (the University radio station) or Sin (the University newspaper)
- Becoming a Class Representative with the Students' Union
- And many more! Our campus volunteer roles are hugley varied providing you with a lots of different experiences.
Volunteering off campus
As an NUI Galway student, you can volunteer with a huge variety of community organisations, in thematic areas like:
- Health and Wellbeing
- Environment/Animal Welfare
- Sports & Recreation
- Human Rights/Social Justice
We have a dedicated website to connect you with all these opportunities and enable you to build a portfolio of volunteering.
For more information on ALIVE, contact:
Lorraine Tansey, ALIVE Coordinator
- Visit ALIVE in Aras na Mac Leinn
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up to volunteer at nuigalway.ie/alive