Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Our programme supports young people from 16-24 to have positive and confident sexual health and well-being through Active* Consent. We also work with groups that are important to young people, from teachers to parents, college staff, and policy makers.
We work principally with:
- Secondary schools
- Sports organisations
Active* Consent uses workshops, drama, video, and research to engage with our stakeholders and partners.
We work through four strategies:
- Small groups in interactive, engaging workshops;
- Larger groups in drama presentations through our theatre troupe;
- Social media and interactive video content to engage with our online community;
- Preparing and training staff and youth leaders.
All of our work is founded on extensive research and participation from young people themselves.
Currently we offer:
- Facilitator training with students and staff in third level colleges to deliver workshops
- Information talks for staff, parents, or community groups
- Consent workshops for third level colleges
- An original drama presentation for third level colleges
- Educational media resources
- Research with young adults
- Research and development with schools and youth groups, piloting a school consent workshop in Spring 2020
- Research and development with sports clubs and organisations
Active* Consent grew out of an existing collaboration between Psychology and Drama and Theatre Studies at NUI Galway which had the initial aim of changing student experiences and college responses around sexual consent. We sought to make this change by conducting research and devising workshops, theatre pieces, and short films in response.
With the support of the Lifes2good Foundation, four years (2019-2023) of research and implementation for the Active* Consent programme was launched at NUI Galway in 2019 led by Pádraig MacNeela, Charlotte McIvor, Siobhán O’Higgins, and Kate Dawson. This support will allow Active* Consent to expand our work with third level institutions and to work with secondary schools and sports organisations.
Lifes2good Foundation (L2g) is a Galway-based charity with a primary focus on women and children experiencing vulnerability. Its funds preventative as well as remedial strategies, including capital projects, operational programmes and initiatives that focus on attitudinal change.
Social Innovation Fund Ireland (SIFI) is a Government-created charity using philanthropy to promote social innovation. SIFI provides growth capital and supports to the best social innovations in Ireland.
Active* Consent is also supported by NUI Galway and Galway University Foundation.